Sunday, 8 March 2015

Plastic Soldier Company WW2 Armour British Spray Review


With most of my fellow 6 Month Mountain Reduction Painting Challenge (6MMRPC) having hit their 6 months point last week and finished the challenge (well done everyone!), I am in my final stretch. I started almost a month later so I am aiming to finish at the end of March.

As part of that final push I've been trying to get a couple of full units that are in progress to the point of at least getting to the 'yellow' stage on my painting chart. Varnishing is still not possible due to the weather here and despite having permission to varnish in the spare room, I've held off because having permission from the better half does not always mean it's a good idea...

Today we had a dry clear day - although the wind was a little gusty. Our back garden is a lot smaller than at the cottage, and a bit more sheltered. I took the chance to try out the PSC British Armour spray I picked up a long time ago.

I've held off using the spray as my other models are painted using Vallejo Model Color 70.924 Russian Uniform as the base green. I knew that using the spray would result in a slightly different tone, but today I decided to give it a shot.




I also discovered a macro setting on one of the camera apps on my phone, so thought I would test that out.

The jeep on the right was hand painted using Vallejo Russian Uniform. The left hand jeep is straight off the spraying board. I'm not sure that the pictures show it, but the PSC spray painted jeep has a slightly deeper tone. Definitely slightly darker that the hand painted one. All in all though I'm quite happy with it.

The tin itself seems to contain a good quantity of spray. It went on easily enough (despite the wind!), although I always struggle to stick to the spray range on the bottle. at 12" it didn't seem like any spray was making it to the models. Again, this could have been the weather.

The other thing to note is that the jeep was sprayed straight on to bare metal and resin. The Loyd carriers I sprayed had been primed black first. The spray is labelled as a primer, so I will go over the non primed models with a quick coat of Russian Uniform, to help the colour match and give a little more protection.

The macro setting on the camera seems to work, but does show off my too thick paint. Getting consistency right is something I still have not managed with the Vallejo paints. When I try to water down I end up with a consistency like that of a wash, but when I don't water it down the finish on the paint isn't as smooth as I would like.

Anyway, the PSC spray is a decent match. I'm happy with it and will use it again.






9 comments:

  1. Vallejo paints can be a trial to thin down for painting. I wouldn't cut them with water - either use the Vallejo thinners or (as I do) use a mix of 20% fluid matte medium, 5% flow aid in distilled water.You can get the matte medium and flow aid from most art stores - a bottle of each will last you for years and set you back less than £20.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm... my own comments don't seem to be showing. I've just ordered a couple of different thinners to test out, the Vallejo Model Color one (although I was tempted to try and Model Air thinner) and the MIG one, which is water based. I'll see how I get on with them. The picture showing how rough that paint looks on the jeep has shown it's something I need to get a grip on - and something I have struggled with for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The solution might be an airbrush:-P

      Delete
    2. Cameron, I do have an airbrush and compressor.... But have had even less luck with paint thickness with that. Also I've nowhere I can use it other than outside.

      Delete
  3. Hope you're using a pippete dropper when you are measuring out your thinner (water, whatever) to make your paints got on more evenly? Makes it all so much easier.

    Saying that, I rarely if ever thin out my paints, preferring to just work with the paints as is.

    Been contemplating the PSC spray..... Looks okay from here. Though I do have this airbrush staring at me every time I go in the garage....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pippet Dai. I did use one at the start, but found it still made no difference. I'm just not scientific enough in my methods I suppose. I also need to put less paint on my pallete and maybe consider a wet pallete as the paint dries as I'm using it and the water evaporates. Which means the paint gets thicker as I go.

      Delete
  4. Jeez - the thought of thinning paints with anything other than water terrifies me. I need to get out more.

    Funnily enough, I recently bought and tried a tine of this, and I think my findings were broadly similar.

    I haven't much of an eye for colour, but it did seem like a pretty damned good match overall - what was less impressive for me was the coverage: it seemed really weak. Not 'watery' per se, but quite fine, maybe - like you - I found I had to get closer than I was comfortable getting in order to get decent coverage. Cheap though, and I'm happy with it overall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I miss this dray day? Looking good Jamie, I'm sure it's not as thick as you think, your almost looking at them under a microscope. I have a look at mine at times and they look rough hut to the naked eye there fine.

    Colour is pretty close match! Will be closer after Matt finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find having a damp brush can be enough to thin things out (too much with certain colours). I also use a wet pallete..ish. Waxed paper on foam soaked with water. I find the paint lasts much longer, and it also tends to spread a bit better, without overly thinning it (again, certain colours are better/worse than others).

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated! Thanks!