Sunday, 26 July 2015

6MMRPC: Finished - D7 Angledozer and Humber Scout Cars

Home again this weekend and today has been spent finish off the models I was working on last week. This should have been a quick hit for me, but while spraying the varnish on all 4 mini's at once, the varnish on the ARV clouded.

I have no idea why. I was spraying all 4 mini's at the same time and the other 3 were fine.

Anyway, in my rush to prevent too much damage I probably caused more. I ended up running the model under the tap before resorting to trying to scrape the worst of the white gunk off - which took off the paint and decals underneath the rear hull section. To say I was annoyed would be an understatement. I searching online to see if there was anything I could do other than repaint the whole model and found someone saying that the cloudiness could be removed by painted on varnish from a bottle.

I tried that, and it did clear most of the issues. I had done a lot of damage before getting to that point though, so ended up repainting sections anyway. As such, that model wasn't finished today.

I also spent some time preparing some A4 craft boxes with magnetic sheeting to act as extra storage for my models. Two boxes done and they work pretty well. This included adding the steel paper to the underside of the models I have recently finished so that they can be stored away.

Today also involved a quick visit to the Carluke and Law Wargames club, where I swapped 3 Sherman V's and a Firefly (the first ones I painted) for 3 Sherman I's and a Hybrid Firefly (all brand new in in box). So Challenge wise I am now less some painted models and up some unpainted ones...

Anyway, onto todays finished models. D7 Angledozer:




Humber Scout Cars:









And the WiP ARV:



Box (Boxes, I used velcro to make sure they stack) - with all my FoW stuff painted so far in the challenge.


And I made a start on the next batch - a Troop of Sherman I's with a Sherman Firefly (one on the right hasn't had any highlights applied to the hull yet):


14 comments:

  1. Ugh. Varnishing disasters cause my stomach to roil. Hope the recovery operation isn't too awful for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just very annoying Dave - I feel like all that work was randomly wiped out by one random factor. Hey Ho, almost fixed and finished now, just doesn't look so good.

      Delete
  2. Looking good.

    That's a real pity with the varnish. What varnish are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cameron. It's Army Painters own Anti-Shine Matt Varnish. I've used it loads recently with no issues - and no issues with the other 3 models I was spraying at the same time!

      I painted on Vallejo Acrylic Matt Varnish from a bottle and it seemed to resolve some of the issues - although not the slight blistering of the paint.

      Delete
  3. Hi,

    I just followed your link to here via my blog, where I see you are a new follower. Really impressive modelling and painting skills here Mad Tin Hatter (:), and we are very much on the same course so I'll add your blog to my list if you don't mind. I'm quite new to painting tanks and vehicles so a read back through your stuff here will prove useful no doubt.

    All the best,

    Lee.

    PS: I only ever use vallejo matt and satin varnish applied by brush, I'm scared to spray anything as I read so many issues !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee! Thanks for the comments. I'm always happy to have my blog added to anyone's page - when I know they have added me I try to do the same. Hopefully you will find something of use from my ramblings! I use my painting to help with my own mental health (although it seems to bring its own challenges at times!) as finishing models gives me a sense of completion that I'm missing in my day to day work.

      Despite the setback, I will probably try the spray again. When it works it works well - and I've had painted on vallejo Matt varnish go cloudy on me as well in the past.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic! I love that dozer in particular.

    Good idea with he velcro too. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Velcro idea I got from Paulalba and Young David - too good an idea to be mine! Only issue is the lids come off, so you have to carry from the bottom!

      Delete
  5. Have been rather lucky to not have suffered a varnish catastrophe in a long time, but they hurt when they do happen.

    My solution is paint on gloss varnish on the cloudy area, then matt varnish on top once it's dry. Usually does the trick.

    Regardless mate, the work you've done is up to your typical standards - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Dai - hopefully I can keep up the pace a little longer. If it goes wrong again I'll definitely try your suggestion as well. It might even warrant a blog post on its own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it helps (yay - more internet 'advice'!) the recce carrier and Cromwell of mine that you saw in last week's post both got horribly frosted: my cure, for what it's worth, is a few thin paints of rubbing alcohol (AKA isopropyl alcohol or surgical spirit for overseas readers). It works pretty well, although you may have to (a) touch up certain colours (like black, which isn't usually difficult) and it doesn't leave it exactly as it should. Still, it's better than scraping tuff off physically, and it seems to work well with transfers/decals too.

    Just my twopenn'orth...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drax, I've not got anything like that handy... But this has got me thinking about some experiments to show what causes the frosting and what works as a fix...

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated! Thanks!