On Saturday Amy was off to see her sister and mum for a days shopping so I was left to entertain myself. I ended up taking my figures down to the Carluke and Law Wargames club for a game of Battlegroup Overlord. I had a nice time, but was left feeling a bit flat by our use of the game - specifically what was being left out. The lack of proper army lists, morale and morale counters, tank ammo, etc, which are what defines this game and makes it different from the likes of Rapid Fire.
We talked about it after the game and I think everyone agreed the game would be better with a bit more organisation and proper army lists. YD has suggested we try some of the scenarios in the books, so we may do that.
I've included some pics of the table and of some of YD's models
After the game on Saturday I didn't get much done. I think the fact I hadn't enjoyed myself put me on a downer. I'd hasten to add that I didn't have a bad time, the atmosphere at the club was great and we had a laugh. I think the fact that I had it in the back of my mind that it might be my last game at the club - and slightly worried about being able to find games after I move (which is growing increasingly likely) - made the fact the game wasn't what I had hoped for a much bigger deal. It effectively made me doubt the wisdom of continuing to collect and paint my mini's when my future in the hobby is a little in doubt - and when even the local club is running so fast and loose with what aspects of a rules set they use it doesn't bode well.
Anyway, Sunday afternoon I got my mojo back and made a start on my next 4 Shermans. 2 x Sherman I's and 2 x Sherman Fireflys. These 4 models are the last of those prepped prior to the painting challenge. My work on them consisted of an edge highlight using a 50/50 mix of Vallejo Model Colour Khaki and Russian Uniform - with a small drop of Ivory. I just use this on prominent surfaces like hatch handles, panel edges, around hatches, along the top of the gun barrel and around any section I deem to be an edge.
I did the same with the wooden items (only using beige brown), rubber and metal (using black grey) and other bits and bobs. Once I had done the edge highlight I also did a quick dry brush on Russian Uniform again, just to tone down the highlights and blend them slightly.
Still to do are the decals, aerials, weathering and matt coat. Hopefully I'll make good progress on those next weekend.
In other news, my transfer at work is almost authorised so a move to Middlesbrough looks likely by October. And my total weight loss as of today is 2 stone 9 pounds - a long way to go but I'm pretty pleased with my progress over the last 16 or so weeks. That includes 3 separate weeks (holiday week, birthday week and Edinburgh show/visitors/visiting Son week) where I put weight on.