Thursday, 24 March 2016

German Normandy Grenadiers - #1 Platoon Finished!

Hi guys,

A a better update on these chaps than last time. With them now all on the bases and just a last few finishing touches before they get put away and I start the prep for the Tabletop Commanders Miniature Modelling Mayhem (TtC MMM) Challenge starting on the 1st of April.


So, just to jump straight in, these were the first German troops I've painted - other than a few surrendering Peter Pig models. I found that they were a little tricky because of all the colours on them. There were a lot more colours than the British uniforms of the period. This also made highlighting interesting - especially the camo!

Speaking of camo, I'm quite please with how these look, although the pictures do them very little justice!



This is my attempt at Heer splinter camo. More effective at a distance, but these pics give an idea.






And a few pics of the unit laid out on the painting table:





So that's number 1 platoon done. I've another 2 Infantry platoons to do, one of which will be Peter Pig mini's from Lee. Unfortunately after soaking the bases to try and get the minis off, and then handling the minis while trying to get them off the bases, a lot of paint has come off from them. I'm going to try and repair them and highlight them up the same as I have with these guys!

10 comments:

  1. They look good. 1 platoon to go then you have the base of an infantry company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cameron - getting the basics of the company done will be the object of the Painting Challenge I am starting in April.

      Delete
  2. Very nicely done mate. Didn't take you that long at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai - I'm finding it takes me about 2 weeks to get a unit done currently. These guys were tough... and I have a lot more of them to do. Thankfully the sculpts are nice - unlike some of the other German Grenadiers I have, which don't even look like battlefront sculpts. Really not impressed!

      Delete
  3. You've nailed them! Well done Jamie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, I'm happy with them - I still need to work a lot more on my faces though.

      Delete
  5. Very nice job James, they look the business! Sorry the PP's did not come off the bases as easily as I had hoped. Your basing style is excellent and shows off the painting to great effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee, most of them came off easily enough, but a few of them took a bit of work and I ended up handling them just too much while they were still wet. I had a look at them last night and a lot of them have ended up with bare patches or chips. I'll do what I can with them and get them based up and posted ASAP.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated! Thanks!