Sunday 21 January 2018

6mm Team Yankee game

Hi folks,

Despite painting all week, I've nothing to show today as my Wednesday entry was not posted on the challenge blog due to me getting it in too late at night (still, 5.30pm Canadian time on Wednesday.... but nevermind!).

Instead, I thought I'd post up some pictures I took of a 6mm Team Yankee game myself, Martin and Dave D played at Dave's last weekend.

This was our first outing with TY at this scale, and the terrain is currently based on what Dave had available from 10mm projects and the likes.

My deployment - Swingfires on the left, arty at the back, Chieftains, infantry and tracked rapiers


Objective is the T junction

Red tufts mark unit leaders




First blood to the UK forces takes out a load of Russian armour - there is, however, more on the way!

Myself and Martin were fielding Brits. We just put models on the table and didn't worry about points as it was really a game to see if the system worked and Martin and Dave were happy with it. Myself and Martin had a Squadron of Chieftains and about a company of infantry, plus support. Dave had... a lot! Points wise we may actually have been fairly close.

I had the right flank, Martin took the left. Objective was to seize and hold the T junction.

Dave's Hinds show up to support his flank attack on me!


Martins Recce units, with tanks on the road

Dave's advance continues!


As expected, the Russians took a beating closing the distance, but managed to kill half the Chieftain squadron and were pushing hard on Martins flank - who had lots of recce vehicles but not a great amount of tank killing power.

I lose some Chieftains, but my Rapiers pay the Hinds back (had missed the rule about SAM's firing in enemy turn!)

Securing the objective... till the 3 Chieftains died, then we dug in and held on!

More Hinds! This time harassing Martin - these ones proved harder to kill!

Our centre takes a pounding - tank knife fights hurt!

Lone Hind, which I am ignoring! It failed it's morale check and flew off...

My tanks on the road are supporting Martin!

Because he needed the support!

I managed to get some infantry dug in near the T junction, then Martin decided to put another squadron of Chieftains on the table...


Martin's reinforcements make all the difference - markers are bailed out tanks

A lot of dead russkie armour - T-64's and some T-80's

End of the game - good time had by all!

Martin's reinforcements led to the Russian advance being stalled... but I think without the reserves that suddenly appeared, Martins flank would have broken off and I would have been forced to disengage as well!

Great game, played nice and quick and I think we all really enjoyed it. It looked good as well! I think all three of us are happy to commit to the rules and will be using TY as a baseline moving forward - although with fan made stats for kit not yet covered by the official material. We're looking forward to seeing what we can do with this, with a campaign being discussed as an option!

We also played some Wings of Glory WW2:





Nice fast paced game, and Dave's table mat for it is stunning. I've got my own little Hurricane fighter, but am a bit let down by the Hurri's stats (worse manoeuvre than the spit, same damage points, same guns - despite it having a reputation as being sturdier and a better gun platform)!

Hopefully more to post next week, as I've finished a Flak battery of quad 2cm guns as well as a battery of 15.5cm French guns in German service! Plus I've three Wespes nearing completion - my first SS vehicles!


7 comments:

  1. Looks awesome, bloody and realistic...SUperb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful stuff - 6mm is the perfect scale for moderns - Makes me want to think about trying TY.
    Thanks for posting.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two great looking games James. Don't panic, your entry will be up on Wednesday morning. I was tucked up in bed fast asleep when you posted it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, I was still in the 1980s as I scrolled down; suddenly seeing the hurricane was a bit of a jolt !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie paints SS!!?? Say it ain't so mate?

    Very nice looking AARs. The 6mm on that board looked smashing especially.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really lovely table for those chieftains to cross

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!