Friday 20 April 2018

The Hobby, illness and me (or you!)

Hi folks,

First up, apologies for the title. This isn't meant to be a 'pity party' post, it's just something I've been thinking about over the last few days. I wanted to share it/write it down as much for myself as anyone else who might read it.

Last weekend my left shoulder froze, causing me a lot of pain for several days. I'm right handed, but if you think about how you hold a model while you paint, having limited mobility with my left arm and shoulder as well as severe RSI/Carpal Tunnel style pains in my arm and hand makes the prospect of painting... uncomfortable.

This is a concern for me for a number of reasons. 1 - the lead pile is not getting any smaller, 2 - painting is one of my stress management techniques I use to maintain my mental health, and being in pain and stressed with a frozen shoulder, I need to maintain that... 3 - I always feel like if I stop painting, I might not start again!

So, I set about thinking about what I could do with limited physical ability, which would still count as 'hobby time'. I'm aware that in the grand scheme of things, a frozen shoulder is not up there with life altering serious illness - so please don't think I'm suggesting that the following applies to everyone. Mileage may vary! But it's what I've come up with and stuff I feel I can do given my own current situation!

Things I can do that are not painting:

1.  Tidy up. Not particularly exciting, but there is always stuff to be put away, sorted, refiled, stacked, etc, etc. After the last big game my models are mixed up in several boxes with no rhyme or reason to the order. I also want to re-arrange my books and lead mountain storage area to better use the space and put stuff I need and use closer to hand. Lots could be done to make sure when I can paint, my hobby area is ready and waiting.

2. Build. I've lots of plastic kits I need to build for future units (mainly, oddly enough, Shermans!). This takes time and I'm loath to do this when I could otherwise be painting. I might not have the dexterity to paint, but snipping, trimming and gluing takes far less effort. It also constructively frees up 'future' painting time. I dislike having too many built 'waiting for paint' models around, but in a lot of cases the boxes on un-built minis take up more room than the finished models, so building them and storing them frees up space and helps with 'tidy up' above.

3. Plan/admin. I can use the time to sketch out unit lists to represent what I want to paint, need to build and want to buy. Again, this can be time consuming, but it's useful work that will act as a starting point in the future. This also includes stock taking of what I already have, making spreadsheets if I am able, but writing on paper also helps. This can also include working on scenarios or adding my paints to one of the various paint tracking apps (I recently got a new phone).

4. Research. Linked to number 3 above, planning armies means research. Research might involve time with books, with the Internet or just on my phone while laid up in bed. It might be re-reading stuff I've read of confirming stuff I know. But it's all useful - so long as the results are logged and kept. It's pretty important stuff for me, as I do try to keep my armies as accurate as I can for the Operation I'm modelling.

5.  Take stock. Linked to plan/admin - but more for hobby supplies and other paraphernalia. How am I for glue, paint, brushes, etc. What hobby supplies do I have, might I need. How is it stored? Can I re-arrange things, or repack things.

6. Buy... retail therapy is always good! Having the time means I can search around for the very best deals, link to my planning and research, look at what other people are doing, etc. Still useful hobby time, even if I don't pull the trigger on any actual purchases. Be aware though that buying lots of stuff you can't do anything yet might not be good mentally.

7. Paint? Am I sure I can't paint? Are there any adaptions I can use or try. For example, I think one issue is holding my hand open for long periods of time, so I bought some corks today with the thought that these might give me a better hand hold if I glue the stuff I'm working on to them. Can I adjust my chair or work space? What if I'm only priming rather than doing detail work?

8.  Revisit/revamp. I've a lot of early models I finished I want to go back to and touch up, fix or otherwise change. Is this the time to look at whether I can do any of that work?

9. Planning future projects. Is there anything else I can be looking at? Future terrain needs to be planned, storage options to be thought about, gaming space to be planned (I really want to make progress getting a table in my garage). An excellent time to think things through, plan and research and actually look into practicalities.

10. Play some/more games. Ok, so you might not be able to paint, but you might be able to play. Maybe it's a good time to badger mates into getting more games in!

Anyway, those are some thoughts I've had in the last few days while pondering what will happen if this arm takes months or years to sort itself out, and the impact that might have on my plans. Hopefully it might give others who read it some ideas themselves, or maybe act as a prompt for those people who don't feel like painting but want to do something hobby related.






15 comments:

  1. sure it's the position at the desk, I had a sore side recently, only very minor and I rearranged my sitting position by just moving the cushions on my slightly too low chair. worked well. failing that you have loads to do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always load to do Martin - thankfully I'm getting movement back!

      Delete
  2. I have a frozen shoulder too mate - my left. Slowed my painting down considerably- it still hurt to hold the model in your left hand for prolonged periods while you paint with your right. The pain really sucked, thankfully now the pain stage has mostly passed, now I just have the restriction of movement. The whole thing can really vary from person to person as to how long it takes to resolve. I hope your pain stage isn't too long matey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that Jack, at least I'm not losing income due to it! Thankfully (touch wood) in the last 3 days I've been in far less pain and have a lot more movement! To the extent I'm wondering how accurate the diagnosis has been. Fingers crossed you don't have to put up with it for long either!

      Delete
  3. Do a combination of everything mate - its all Hobby, its all good stress management. Hope you get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul! I was just keen to get my thoughts down on what I could do, rather than dwell on what I couldn't!

      Delete
  4. Good observations , doing something a bit different is definitely worth it ... hope it goes away soon.

    Plus you can always do a bit more gaming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suffered a frozen shoulder about 10 years ago and it is a real inconvenience. Luckily it was before I got back into the hobby, so didn't have a chance to interfere with my figure painting. Unfortunately a few years later I got cubital tunnel syndrome in my left arm which did stop me painting for a few weeks as I couldn't grip anything with that hand and bending my elbow was painful.

    It does sound like you're coming up with lots of constructive things to do while you can't paint. My frozen shoulder took about 4 or 5 weeks to get good again - hopefully yours won't take that long :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. I'm hopefully already on the mend.

      Delete
  6. You can buy a desk clamp to lock your miniature in place and apply paint on it with just the right hand. Obviously you aren't going to be painting face detail or anything like that, but at least you can get main colours on. Make sure it has a nice weighted base though.. I think its used for soldering. Its what I used years ago to keep 'the hobby' up when I jacked up my shoulder slipping on ice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch! I hope you recover soon. I have heard good things about those handles from games workshop that hold your minis while you paint them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I've gone with some corks as a starter, but the models I currently paint are smaller than the GW ones! I

      Delete
  8. My neck and back really get impacted by painting. I even moved to a standing desk (similar to my work setup) in the hopes it would help. It did, for a bit.
    I like this post tho, lots of objective ways to try to stay productive regardless of physical ailments.

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!