Saturday 19 May 2018

Team Yankee recap - but still nothing finished!

Hi folks,

Not a huge amount to report on for this weeks efforts. While I have progressed my german tanks - they now have decals and radio aerials - I've still not actually finished anything!

I thought I'd post a bit about last weeks gaming club effort. The Old Guard Wargames Club met in Northallerton last Sunday, and myself and Dave played some 6mm Team Yankee games. 3 to be precise!

The other club members were playing a home brew rules set, which was set in the French and Indian Wars (I think!). Possibly AWI.

The Team Yankee game was the 3rd in the series of scenarios from the Iron Maiden book, and sets Brits against Russians. In the first game, I played the Brits. The scenario has the initial British deployment as being pretty limited, with only an infantry platoon, artillery, Chieftan troop and Swingfires available, one of which can be in ambush. The rest of the British force is in immediate reserves and come on through the course of the game. The Russians, on the other hand, start with their whole force on the table. Which includes Hinds and fast air... Note the lack of British AA!

My initial setup, artillery at the back, Chieftans in the centre and infantry holding the factory complex. Swingfires were in ambush. 

Dave went for a broad advance, deciding to ignore the defensive minefields, which cost him a couple of tanks. 

Dave makes use of smoke to block my fire, while his tanks attempt to flank. 

My Swingfires ambush from the woods and start killing tanks, which forces Dave to deploy his Hinds to combat them. His tanks take out my artillery, and the Swingfires are a nuisance for a while before the rout. 


Russian fast air (SU 25's) arrive, but thankfully doesn't do much. 

I was really unlucky with reserve rolls. Not having some of the stuff from the scenario, the Brits swapped out helicopters for some Milans and Rapiers. My Rapiers arrived and dealt with the Hinds. 

Swingfires bug out, but not before inflicting heavy damage to the Russkie armour. 

Rapiers and Chieftains arrive to support!

Dave didn't make much use of his infantry, and the BMP2's were knocked off one at a time. Carl Gustav teams did some damage here. 

My OP was parked up by the church. We decided he would be able to use the church tower...

Lots of burning T 72's. 
After the first British win, we switched sides, with me as the Russians. I decided to put everything down the one flank. I think this might be the only way the Russians can win the game. While drawing the game would be easy for them, I was aiming for a win. As it turned out, I should just have kept dashing and got to knife fighting range...

Russian forces were 2 companies of T 72's (6 tanks each), plus a HQ of 1 tank. A company of motor rifles in BMP2's, 3 Carnations, 2 Shilkas, 2 SAM carriers, 2 Hinds, 2 SU 25's. 
The Soviet's prepare to go!

Halfway, and only a few burning tanks... My Hinds deployed to stop an ambush in front of me.  

BMP2's let the infantry out - I did this too early, the plan had been to use their ATGM's and theinfantry to flood the defences, but I should have dashed again and got them onto the objective instead. 

Dave's firepower rolls to kill 4 BMP2's with tank gun fire. 

Dave was much luckier with the reserve rolls. I ran out of steam and he rolled me up. Another British win!
The 3rd game, I didn't take any pictures of. But I kept with the Russians and went down the covered approach on the Russian right. Similar results, getting shot to bits without making any progress! A very tough scenario for the Russians to win. To draw however, they just have to have a unit in the British half of the table in turn 6, which would be easy to do as the infantry could hole up in a forest and the Brits would struggle to shift them.

The other chaps had a big table set up, and I think they got two turns in:







So that's it for now!

4 comments:

  1. Team yankee hard. More smoke needed, or some hills. French I din war game was fun, some tweaks to rules and it's good

    ReplyDelete
  2. tough scenario, we need to us some more bits of the rules and assets better I think.. all good fun though

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking games 😀

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!