Friday 17 August 2018

Finished!: 15mm German SS Radio Truck + The Other Partisan

Hi folks,

As promised last week, I managed to finish off my SS radio truck this week. This is a 15mm Battlefront vehicle, with a selection of 15mm Battlefront figures to make the base into a little diorama. Useful for table decoration, an objective marker or something more complex for when playing the Battlegroup rules!





As with my other SS figures, I've gone for a mix of camo patterns and standard uniform on the figures. I added a double radio to the table I had, as well as a figure with what appears to be a field telephone (painted with yellow shoulder tabs to mark him out as signals).

I imagined the scene as being a busy temporary command post 'somewhere in Normandy', with orders being passed on to a runner while signallers try and get through to other units.

I had gone with camo netting and foliage on the truck, but messed it up and ended up removing it all last minute. I may revisit the concept, but basically I normally add the netting before painting, and I didn't this time - which resulted in the varnish messing it all up.

I've put aside the rest of my German painting queue for now, and have instead switched to finishing off my 10mm scale ACW limbers. More on that soon (I hope!).

In other news, myself, Dave, Martin and Scottie will be at 'the Other Partisan' on Sunday. Dave's putting on his Sudan game. We'll be at table 21 (over by the toilets, handily...) should anyone want to stop and say hello!

12 comments:

  1. looks excellent, see you later

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done! Imho one can’t have enough of this kind of scenic pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Little bases like this certainly help populate a table!

      Delete
  3. You brought them to life James, superb vignette with realistic and wonderful details!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes great little diorama, they look the business, perhaps an order has come direct from the Furher himself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always James your eye for detail really brings these little scenes to life. Excellent painting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lee - probably took the longest to paint of any model so far this year, I just could not get enthused after painting all the Panzer IV's and because of the heat here.

      Delete
  6. I always love things like this - wars needing a huge degree of organisation and C3 to be prosecuted effectively - something hard to replicate in a tabletop game, but this vignette would really sell it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks matey - I've got a couple of ideas for other things I'd like to do for both the Brits and the Germans. Just a matter of fitting them in when there are actual 'combat' units still to be painted!

      Delete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!