Saturday 10 November 2018

Finished: 15mm StuGs and mini-project completed!

Hi folks,

Keeping myself active this week, having finished the Kubelwagons last week, I pushed on with the StuGs. Thankfully... getting them done means my last units of my project are done!



The three StuG models are the newer Battlefront plastics, as opposed to my older models which are the old 'open fire' basic models. As per my earlier post on these vehicles, these vehicles are from Sturmgeshutz Abteilung 1344.

I've had to make some guesses about the tactical markings, as the limited information I have on the wrecks in Tilly-la-Campagne is that they had the hull numbers 211 and 212. However, I have seen neither the source for this information of the pictures. The next three I've gone with  231, 232 and 233. Generally, these will just be useful for some of the bigger games, as I think the StuGs a pretty common assault gun for the Germans and is pretty iconic.




I did have to figure out a way of getting these three new StuGs to match in with the three I painted back in 2016. Thankfully, I think I managed to keep them pretty similar:




So, with these StuGs done, that fills in the final green on my planning spreadsheet. Only 4 months behind schedule... I'd planned to have this stuff done by July, but got distracted by building and painting a landing craft and finishing up my 10mm ACW collection.

Green means done!


This means I get to do group shots!




Unfortunately, while this clears the decks of most of my planned German armour, I picked up another box of PSC Panzer IV's and some 2nd hand BF resin models. Those will allow me to field a full company, without using the Panthers. I'd love to do a Panther company as well, but I'm spread too thin as it is just now. I'll revisit the idea in the future when I've actually made a dent in the stuff I already have planned.

I've also got three more Wespes to do, as well as 3 Hummel SP's... which will flesh out the 12th SS armoured stuff. Then half tracks.

Really pleased to have gotten this out of the way, if a little annoyed it took so much longer than planned. I think I'm going to do a couple of buildings next, then decide what to work on from there!

8 comments:

  1. Nice work James - I'll bet you're glad to have picked a mini-project like this to get yourself back into the swing of things :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest Tamsin I think the time it was taking to get everything done was part of what wore me down. There is a lot more work involved in painting the German stuff!

      Delete
  2. Awesome work on these, as usual. Jst what you needed, more tanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin, don't worry, there's more allied stuff in the lead mountain!

      Delete
  3. That's a heap of armour! I'm assuming it's not a force you'd field together ("missing" infantry and maybe some indirect fire). Looks to be a very coherent (paint/could wise)force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave - this force is just the armoured element of 12th SS for one battle in Normandy. Arty and infantry are either done or planned!

      Delete
  4. Inspiring stuf the hard work shows in the turn out of these lovely models

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's an impressive layout! Where on earth do you store all of your (now) many minis?

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!