Saturday 19 January 2019

Finished!: 15mm Morris Commercial CDSW Light Breakdown Truck (conversion)

Hi Folks,

Another AHPC entry for this week. This time a quick conversion I launched into having had a spare Morris Bofors Tractor (BR279) from Battlefront. I discovered that there was a 'wrecker' truck version of this vehicle and that this type of equipment would have been used by the Light Aid Detachments attached to individual Battalions in a Division. So the plan is to make myself a small unit to represent these chaps. Not much use in a standard game, but it's the type of thing we would find a use for in our big battles at the club.

Note, for those that saw this on the AHPC blog, I've finished a few details on this since I posted on Tuesday. Mainly the correct markings now for a REME unit, a little light weathering and the usual base gubbins I put on to make it look like it might be parked up against a hedge 'somewhere in Normandy'.





The conversion part included adding a paperclip wire frame for the cab roof along with a cut down 'stowage' tarp . I also reworked the rear of the vehicle, cutting off some of the boxes at the rear and building up the sides a little. I built the jib on the back out of plastic rod I had, and added a spare wheel and some jerry cans from the bits box (different size than the others, but it will do as a generic spare). I could have got a bit heavier with the stowage I think, but decided to keep it pretty simple - there is a covered area which is no doubt jam packed with the crew's 'stuff'.

For crew, I went with the driver that came with the kit and a spare passenger from the bits box. I specifically selected a passenger that was holding a rifle, as I wanted to highlight that while this was not a front line unit, the job was still dangerous!

This entry for the challenge got a lot of positive comments - it seems military recovery trucks are cool!

6 comments:

  1. Not only are recovery vehicles cool but this is a perfect conversion job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin - always nice to do something no one else will have!

      Delete
  2. Good to see support units being shown on the table.

    Regards, Chris.

    https://notquitemechanised.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Chris, we plan some properly massive games so there tends to end up being some 'rear area' space for bits like this.

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!