Friday 19 April 2019

Finished: 15mm Morris Quad Tractors

Hi folks,

Having been sidetracked into starting another batch of minis, I finally got the basing on my last few mini's I had prepped for the AHPC Challenge that finished last month. My final four (for now) Quad Tractors:



Nothing hugely special about these guys, as i have recently finished the other four for the battery. However, it was a nice moment for me to have the whole unit 'finished' to a certain degree.

However, as with most collections completed over a period of time, I did have cause to re-visit my artillery, and look again at what units I had decided to represent. I did have three troops of four guns, one troop for 126th (Highland) Field Regiment, RA (white '42' on red over blue) and two troops of 128th (Highland) Field Regiment, RA (white '44' on red over blue).  128th Field would have normally been allocated to 154 Brigade, whereas I didn't really have any attachment to 126th Field, and I'm not actually sure the reason I picked that unit initially.

Then there was the small issue of my earlier Quads being in my version of 'mickey mouse' camo, whereas the new Quads were not. So I decided to have a rethink.

As such, my 'new' Quads have gone on to form a battery of 128th (Highland) Field Regiment, to support my 7th Bat, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of 154 Brigade.

My 'old' Quads, and associated vehicles, have now been re-badged to make up 4th Field Regiment, RCA. These guns will support my Canadian Infantry Company from 2nd Canadian Infantry Division (Infantry Regiment is TBC), and represent guns which feature heavily in one of my favourite Normandy accounts, that of George Blackburn. His book, The Guns of War, is stunning. Eye opening, engaging and hard to put down. Well worth a read if you've not read it yet.

The complete gathering of Highland Division guns now looks like this (less OP, command and staff teams):



Nice little grouping of German prisoners, Jocks drinking tea and an infantry patrol. 


While my Canadian Troop now looks like this:



Meanwhile, the Canadians have found a chicken and barrel of something interesting...

While their comrades prepare to survey another gun position. 

This has neatly allowed me to separate out different styles of painting and gun basing, into different units.

I've a bit more work to do updating bases and possibly highlighting old Quads, but on the whole, I'm happy I took the time and effort to sort out the new unit markings.

On the building queue just now are 6 Sherman DD's and three Sherman Crabs. Tonight I also dug out my 2nd Derbyshire Yeomanry Humbers, as I'd like to add more recce to my Brits. Meanwhile, Dave is cracking on with some fantastic American D-Day stuff for our mega Utah Beach game on the 2nd of June. Stay tuned!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, spectacular collection of vehicles, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil - how much table use they will see I don't know, but the completionist in me is happy.

      Delete
  2. They look spiffy - I quite like that basing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good James... now where are the 5.5s ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Painted and in a box. Still awaiting me figuring out how to do the decals!

      Delete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!