Monday 10 February 2020

York show and Joshua's Army Progress

Hi folks,

Apologies for the lack of updates of late - unfortunately last week I was attending my Nana's funeral in Scotland which had an impact on my ability to think about blogging. My Nana, Nancy, was 94 years old and the funeral was a rather large affair - mainly due to her having 10 grandchildren, 40+ Great Grandchildren and 4 Great Great Grandchildren with more on the way.

It's tough, I think, to measure the impact that Nana's and Papa's have on your life. I know my interest in WW2 and Normandy is driven a lot by my Papa's involvement, while my interest in Aircraft I think comes from my other Papa who did his national service in the RAF as an armourer. My Nana was a nurse during the war, although I believe she remained local to home - my abinding memory of her will always be of a lovely, kind woman who always had cake in her cupboard and gave wonderful hugs.

Personally, I've had a pretty tumultuous life - moving house something like 14 times, but my Nana remained in the same house from when it had been built in the immediate post war period. I hadn't realised just how firm an anchor that house had been for me till I realised I'll probably never visit it again and some other family will have their memories there. Such is life I suppose.

Aside from this, I've been relatively busy.

Continuing my efforts to support Flames of War, I had another article published last week on the website on playing narrative games and their use in helping teach the game. I have to say that the response to the article has been better than I expected it would be with a lot of positive comments. It was also nice to see pictures of some of our games published on the official gaming page! You can read for yourself here: https://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=6879

I also finished painting a few small things, specifically the 15mm crew from a popular Western Sci Fi programme, care of GZG:


I've a few more 15mm sci fi models just needing basing.

I also attended Vapnartack, although I was so rushed I failed to take any pictures of games. I did receive at this show models for the Joshua project from fellow Old Guard Wargames Club member Stuart (more on these once I have them based), as well as from a lovely Scottish chap called John who had seen my youtube video and decided to contribute an army:


His 'Highland Cow (Coo!)' inspired army is a sight to behold. A truly terrific idea and a very welcome addition to the project. You can see some of John's other work (and give his blog a well deserved follow please!) here: https://studiogaarewblog.blogspot.com

As for show loot, I limited myself to a few books and a whole load of Really Useful Box trays:


The Tiger books were £6 each so a real bargain. I bought enough trays for (I think) 3 more 9 litre Really Useful Boxes (the plan being that one box would hold 10mm fantasy models - I underestimated). I also picked up some dice frames and small dice from Pendraken and the new Cruel Seas sourcebook from Warlord.

York has turned into much more of a shopping trip for me. I did appreciate the changes to the Bring and Buy area, which was a substantial improvement over previous years. However, as usual a lack of 15mm WW2 stuff available.

That same weekend I also had an engagement party to attend, where I messed about with my new phone camera:

Stockton-on-Tees by night, looking over towards the uni where the Battleground show is held. 
While this weekend we had our first run out of the Joshua Project models and our attempt at a fantasy version of To the Strongest:

All the armies I've received so far. Barbarians from DaveD, Lizardment from MartinC, Goblins from Ian, Undead from Chris, Dark Elves from Stuart and Heeland Coo's from John - as well as my own compliment of Undead and Human knights. Also present are donated Dark Elves and Ogres from John at Vanguard Miniatures. And today I received more undead and a useful Human unit from the USA care of Adam and Bob. 




And finally, back to WW2 stuff. I've found someone who can make decals for me, and the first draft arrived. Unfortunately, there's a little work to do getting the size right for 15mm, but the art work is superb.


When done, these will be decals for my 5.5" battery, De-Frocked Priests, 144 RAC and 7RTR.

So currently I have a fair bit on the go, and I'm trying to balance painting new stuff with basing received stuff!

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far! I know there are still people working on stuff and it will all be included - the more there is hopefully the more that can be raised for charity in Joshua's memory.

Lastly, I put up a Facebook page to help track the Joshua's army project and help keep people in the look about events it will be attending. You can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/ForJoshuasArmy/

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jamie... Missed you at York, will these decals be available to purchase?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be able to get you some matey! I'll drop you a line on Facebook.

      Delete
  2. lots of cool stuff and Sunday was fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to catch up at York James , certainly lots going on๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far the collection looks great! I'll be signing up to the FB group as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!