Tuesday 28 June 2016

Team Yankee: 6mm Heroics and Ross vs Scotia comparison

Hi folks,

Alongside my 3mm Cold War project, I'm trying to decide which way to go for a 6mm Team Yankee force.

Currently, I would love to go for GHQ - who's models are stunning but pricey. Still cheaper than buying 15mm models, but expensive for the size! Other options are Heroics and Ross or Scotia.

I've seen a lot of mixed reviews about both of these manufacturers, so decided to invest a small amount in samples from both. So I picked up most of the 'core' vehicles from each manufacturer. I figured others might find these pictures useful. First up we have the M1.

I actually have a single M1A1(?) Abrams from GHQ to show with the two 'slick' M1's from H&R and Scotia. In these pictures the order is: GHQ, H&R, Scotia - unless otherwise stated. 

GHQ, H&R, Scotia

GHQ, H&R, Scotia

GHQ, H&R, Scotia

GHQ, H&R, Scotia

Scotia at the bottom and H&R at the top

Scotia closest to the camera

Scotia on left, H&R on right.

Scotia on left, H&R on right

Scotia on left, H&R on right

GHQ, H&R, Scotia

GHQ, H&R, Scotia

My own thoughts were than I prefer the Scotia sculpt. Slightly more detail on the hull, better looking tracks and while the turret is smaller it looks better proportioned. the MG's are also included on the turret.

Next up, T72. No GHQ comparison for this one:

H&R on left, Scotia on right

H&R on left, Scotia on right

H&R on left, Scotia on right

H&R closest to the camera

H&R on bottom, Scotia on top


The Scotia T-72 is much better both is size and quality. You can see a real different when comparing them to the M1. I know the T-72 is supposed to be smaller, but the H&R one is much much smaller. 

Then BMP1's and M113's and M901's. The major difference is that the 'Hammerhead' turret is separate on the H&R model.:

H&R on left, Scotia on right

Scotia closest to camera

H&R on left, Scotia on right

H&R on left, Scotia on right

H&R on left, Scotia on right

H&R on left, Scotia on right

H&R on left, Scotia on right

H&R on left, Scotia on right

H&R on left, Scotia on right - loose turret on the Scotia model

The Scotia BMP1 is much nicer, and has a pose-able turret. The turret also seems to sit in the correct position on the vehicle, with the H&R sculpt turret being too far forward.

The Scotia M113 is not as tall and a little wider - it reminds me much more of a Space Marine Rhino.... which probably means it's closer to an actual M113.

My own preference is for the Scotia one here, the detail on the turret is better, even although it is cast onto the model.

I also got a Mi-24 Hind, although I think in this case the H&R helicopter is better. The H&R A-10 is also nice, but Scotia does not seem to do any. The decision on whether to go for GHQ is a big one. The difference in price is £8.40 for 5 tanks compared to £2.50 for 5... The argument is really over the quality versus the cost! At the same time, H&R Helicopters and Aircraft may be the way to go. 

I also picked up some H&R 6mm Infantry, which were lovely models. I'll be going with their infantry packs when I do got for 6mm. I've already got some half size MDF bases which should translate into 6mm without any problems.

All that's left is for me to make a decision on what to do!

4 comments:

  1. I've got some 6mm USMC and Vietnamese forces in my scrap bag various manufacturers including some GHQ M60s, Scotia LAVs, Irregular miniatures infantry. All replaced now with 15mm (Vietnam) or 12mm Minifigs (German 1980).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Let me know if you want rid of anything ;)

      Delete
  2. Surely at that scale once they're painted the level of detail is practically irrelevant ? On the other hand, you'll know....

    And yes, the Scotia tanks do look a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's an internal conversation I have been having for months. It seems to be settled by my birthday pressie for next month being a gift card for the site that sells the GHQ stuff...

      Delete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!