Friday 23 June 2017

Holiday snaps and loot - 2017

Hi folks,

Over the last two weeks, no painting has been done... for the first time since my honeymoon last year, I believe!

Instead, I've been off gallivanting around Dorset (in England) and Snowdonia (in Wales) for a week each. Thoroughly frazzled due to all the sunshine we had, and very glad to come back to a rainy Teeside! Our car last weekend showed an outside temp of 40oC, and it must be the longest period of using suntan lotion I have every had in this country. Suffice to say on our last day (Thursday) it was overcast, cool and windy. We didn't put any lotion on and both got burnt!

Anyway - the visit to Dorset came about as my Mum and Step Dad, who are normally residents of Spain, are in the UK for the summer. As they are working/residing in Dorset, we decided to visit. Or to put it another way, when my mum mentioned a week before that there was a tank museum near by, my response was 'why do you think I'm coming to Dorset!'.

My long suffering wife and I spent a full day at the Tank Museum in Bovington, more or less from opening to closing time. I'd happily do the same again (though I'm not sure she would be so enthusiastic..).

Highlights were seeing up close some of the vehicles I have been painting and modelling, sitting in the turret of a Chieftain and getting to just wander round the vehicles on display. Of specific interest to me were the Buffalo and Shermans as well as the other allied vehicles - but the two types my Grandfather drove were really cool to see close up. I'm not afraid to admit that on visiting the memorial chapel and seeing his regimental cap badge I got a little lump in my throat.

As any good tread head would, I took a whole lot of pictures, which can be seen on my Facebook page here. Some of the ones with me (for scale purposes!) can be seen below, as well as the panoramic shots I took inside the turret of the Chieftain and in the Tiger hall.















We also went fossil hunting along the Dorset coast, and found a few bits and bobs.

I managed to fit in a visit to Entoyment in Poole - an impressive wargames shop, with a lot of variety. I picked up a few bits:


The Commandos I can use for my recce Brits/Poles - but importantly the pack contains a Piper and I needed another one. The objective cards sounded interesting and I wanted some lighter A/T guns for my Germans. I'll paint these up as Normandy guns and crew, and they should be fine.

I also picked up a Birthday pressie, which Amy paid for. It's now been taken off me till my brithday, but at least I know it's there:


I had a chance to pick up a few book in various book shops (and at the Tank Museum):


The Goodwood book is excellent, full of aerial recce pics taken during the fighting. I'm going to pick up the authors other stuff. Unfortunately it seems he died in a plane crash a few years ago.

As well as a souvenir from the Tank Museum:


And I managed to find a box of figures I've been looking for since last year - still in shrink wrap and for a reasonable price. The package was waiting on me when I got home:


During the quiet evenings, I had a chance to put together some models from the lead pile (taken only after permission for such light hobby activity had been obtained):



We also visited Tyneham village, which is in the middle of a MoD live fire range. My head was on a swivel checking out the range target vehicles! The village itself was interesting, but very sad. The people were given short notice in 1943 to evacuate as the area was required for training as part of the D-Day prep. They were never allowed back and the area is still a MoD Training area.

The other location I managed to visit was the Dorset and Devon Regimental museum in Dorchester. Very interesting museum - the the usual terrible lighting. I mainly took pics of the WW2 stuff, but again there is an album on my facebook page.








The last week we spent in Pennal, at the southern edge of Snowdonia. Not a huge amount around to interest me, although in the field next to our cottage was a suspicious (smallish) mound which I correctly guessed was a Motte and Bailey castle. A few fields away there was a Roman fort discovered and we found a memorial to the crew of a Wellington bomber that had crashed nearby in 1941.

The area was also under the 'Mach Loop' which is a RAF/NATO low level training area. While we heard jet engines constantly over the two weeks, I only managed to catch sight of some Hawks and some Eurofighters at low level. In Dorset I'd also spotted some Tornado's at low level as well - although I got to see lots of military vehicles on the back of low loaders down there as well - and had Challenger training tanks drive past in Bovington (making the whole car shake!)

So other than the military stuff, lots of shopping, ice cream shop hunting, picnics and spending time with family!




13 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great holiday mate. I do have a soft spot for the West Country :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good one - nice area, although I preferred the scenery in Wales.

      Delete
  2. Terrific museum photos! Nice haul of loot as well. Great vacation for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan - pretty predictable I'm afraid, but a great holiday for me!

      Delete
  3. Went to Dorset a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not seen the Bovington Tiger hall yet. We have a cottage booked on Portland next year. Guess what I will be doing with my eldest Grandson?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well worth a visit Simon - pretty imposing seeing those cats all lined up. Don't fancy being handed a PIAT and told to go take any of them on!

      Delete
  4. The Tank Museum... I'm not at all envious. Honest. And you certainly had good weather for it, as we had some shockers up here.

    The Royal Signals museum at Blandford Forum is quite interesting, if you get back down there. Nothe Fort at Weymouth is another interesting place, Victorian to WW2 features. Monkey World nearby to Bovington is something different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Nothe Fort museum was on the radar, but we didn't get round to it. I wasn't too sure about the Signals museum, I would rather have tried the Fleet Air Arm museum in Yeovil but didn't get round to it either. If we go back they will be on the cards! Wild monkeys couldn't drag my Mrs to Monkey World.

      Delete
    2. In the vicinity of Portsmouth there's also the D-Day museum, now I think about it. And an aeronautical collection/museum where you can get inside and have a look around a big flying boat - I just can't remember the place's name. My parents loved taking me on school holidays to Dorset! ("not another museum. groan...")

      Delete
  5. Fantastic holiday locations, great models and always keen on bargain books. I've taken to cruising the charity shops on Banbury whilst the small people are trampolining on a Saturday, it's yielded a number of 99p gems...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matey - I've had a few good purchases from discount book shops. Some 'proper' military reference books and such. The Works is my favourite, but I'll check out any I come across.

      Delete
  6. Good break by the sound of it... the Hastings book is excellent but on a hideous episode in human history...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only just started it but when I bought it I hadn't realised it was focusing on the journey to Normandy. The Goodwood book pictured I have just finished and it is excellent.

      Delete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!