Saturday 21 October 2017

Battlefront Humber Armoured Car Troop (BBX34) review

Hi folks,

Apologies for lack of regular content currently. A bit of time away from home and prep for a game tomorrow has meant I've not spent a lot of time painting.

I wanted to get a quick review of one of the newer Battlefront products I'd picked up recently. I 'needed' a further three Humber armoured cars to get my planned 2nd Derbyshire Yeomanry force to the point that the vehicles are correct for the Totalise period. Seeing that Battlefront have released these vehicles in packs of 3, I grabbed a pack on Ebay for £18 including postage.


As described, the pack contains 3 Humber Armoured Cars. These would be the Humber III version. They come with a unit card and a commanders sprue, and have options for the commanders hatch to be open or closed (the open option is actually a separate part).

The resin is crisp and clean and there was barely any flash on the metal parts. As usual, I ran over mould lines with a knife, just to get rid.

Now, three nice new armoured cars, suitable for me to use for my Normandy force - the old resin and metal blister was sold as a Humber III/IV and had the option for the 2pdr with littlejohn adaptor - which I hadn't used.

However, nowhere had I seen any mention that these models were re-sculpts of the older ones rather than re-packed models. And they are fairly large re-sculpts at that. Here is the newer model (in the darker grey resin on the left) against one of the older blister pack kits.










These shots show the increased quality of the newer kit versus the old - but also the increased size. Unfortunately, I can't cope with having the different sized vehicles in the same force, so the new ones have to go (it would be too costly to replace all the older ones I have). Thankfully some of the chaps from the club, having gotten into Battlegroup, have use for single armoured cars. This lets me recoup some of the money spent. I've still got one to get rid of, so it looks like I will be out of pocket slightly.

All in all then, a great kit - very nicely detailed and I'm very impressed. Just not so impressed with the sudden change in size, which make my earlier models look tiny in comparison. No decals in the pack either, which is a shame. But a quality product and decent value for money.

3 comments:

  1. Good review James you MTH! Found it useful, and informative without any ‘going off track’ rambling! Thanks for posting it - I’m in the same position and have to decide whether or not to buy!! 👍😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mate, thats is very useful as we consider our forays into the Western desert with Battlegroup Tobruk

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!