Saturday 16 November 2013

FoW game, Saturday 9/11/13 - 144RAC vs Germans

Finally getting around to posting some of the pictures from my game with YD last weekend. It's been a busy week so I hadn't got round to typing anything up (and nothing to do with the fact I got soundly thumped).

This was my first game playing with a armored list, using a list from Overlord and the 11th armored list as a proxy for my 33 Armored Brigade.

I fielded a lot of unpainted mini's in this game, which is something I have been avoiding whenever possible. But I fancied changing things up a bit and seeing how I got on. The list consisted of (roughly):

Confident Trained Armor:

Command Troop (2 x Sherman I's)

2 x Troops (3 x Sherman I's, 1 x Firefly)

1 x Recce troop (3 x Daimler I's, 2 x Humber LRC's)

2 x Highland Division Infantry Platoons (in De-frocked priests)

1 x A/T platoon (4 x 6 pounder guns)

Priority air support.

Light cruiser artillery support (off table) - this was mainly to make up the points and I had a ground team spotter for them.

YD fielded his Confident Vet infantry, with 2 x 4 Panzer IV's and 1 x Tiger, Neb's and a few other bits and bobs.

Neither of these lists were strictly speaking accurate, but what the hell!

A brief synopsis of the game saw me advancing into contact and getting bogged down due to dug in Pak40's (again!). A few Shermans were lost without much forward movement, then the Tiger got involved and my Shermans started to pop all over the place. The game ended without me killing many units and with my infantry not even dismounting before I decided I would fall back and concede.

YD's 15mm Tiger













YD's German infantry



Result: Allied Defeat!

3 comments:

  1. Oof..... Losing like you've described is a little hard on the go eh? ;)

    I think taking Trained armour put you in a hard place from the get-go mate. Our tanks' armour is so rubbish, their only saving grace is taking them as Vet's and hoping we will be harder to hit to save from being popped every turn. Infantry at least ALWAYS get their 3+ save and so are a little kinder to run as Trained.

    Nice to see some dismounted tank crew Bailed markers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am using them wrong Dai - starting to think that I need to use the Shermans less as line breakers, and more as support for my infantry. This is, after all, more or less how they were actually used. Churchills or Crocs might be a better idea for making a hole.

      Delete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!