Anyway, constitutional politics aside, I got the basing mostly sorted for the current backlog. I've still got the details to do (in the form of grass clumps and flower clumps). One of the trucks also still needs decalling and a matt varnish.
I think the results using the mud style pigment are a lot subtler and more 'natural' looking than the lighter pigment I had used before. I did this using a stiff brush and one of the Tamiya 'Mud' weathering sticks. I worked the brush on the end of the weathering stick them carefully applied it in a drybrush style. Then a quick dusting of matt spray coat.
I have started prepping the next lot of mini's - these will be my current stock of Sherman I's (5) and Fireflys (3), Humber Scout Cars (2) and a D7 Bulldozer - and maybe a Sherman V as a observation tank for Battlegroup Overlord - but that's not on the painting chart so may have to wait.