My first week back at work this week, and I was full of enthusiasm for painting. Up till I got home on the first day... When I changed into my painting clothes then sat in a stupor looking at my painting desk. This happened every night for the rest of the week!
Saturday, spurred by the GZG sale and need to generate jokers (my name is Jamie and I have a Full Thrust ship addiction) - as well as the fact it looks like I will be unable to take any painting with me while working away during weekdays for the next 4 weeks - I managed to get a shift on with some Flames of War stuff.
In this case, my 4.2" Heavy Mortar platoon + transports.
With the infantry/crew already painted, I just needed to highlight them and give them a matt coat of varnish. The vehicles needed highlighting and decals, then weathering and a final matt coat.
I also had to paint the vehicle and gun bases before putting on the crew. I had hoped to get the gun bases finished today, but I was distracted by a swarm of honey bees in the street outside. There were thousand's of them! A bit of online research later and I found a local beekeeper who I got in contact with. She came out and managed to gather up a lot of the bees, although she didn't think she had the queen. By the time I found the beekeeper and such, most of the swarm had moved on - taking the queen with them, we suspect.
So, progress so far this week:-
4 gun bases with crew, needing the space around the crew figures filled in and then static grass and tufts/flowers. The FOO and Command bases only had resin put on them today as I forgot about them. They will have to wait till next weekend. Front and side pic's for each of the 4 teams.
I will comment on the figures once I have the whole unit done I think, to save repeating myself!
Next up the Loyds Carriers and Universal Carriers for the command and FOO - these have been highlighted and have had the gloss varnish applied prior to decals. I just noticed I am short on the small allied stars. I have an order outstanding with Dom's Decals but can't remember if I ordered these.
Some of these have come out a little dark - I'm not too happy with the highlights, but they look a lot better from gaming distances than close up. Aerials for the radios still need to be applied to the Universal Carriers - as per my standard the command carrier will have one and the FOO carrier will have two (hopefully!).
Along with the crew for the Mortars there were a few other currently unassigned infantry figures finished as well, but they will stay on the lolly sticks until I decide what I am doing with them. I think some of them will end up on individual bases as spares for my Battlegroup Overlord games.
So that's all for this week folks - have to say some other peoples output for the challenge has been putting me to shame. Well done to them all for making such great progress!