Monday 20 November 2017

3mm Vanguard Sci-Fi figures

Hi folks,

Something a bit different has been the focus of attention for me over the last few weeks. Having got a little sick of painting Germans... I moved on to getting some test painting done on a bit of a side project I've taken up. Specifically some 3mm Sci Fi stuff from Vanguard Miniatures, part of their new 3mm 'Defeat in Detail' range for a free rules set they have released (Dominion; The Wars of Tusculum Nova).

I've always been a huge fan of the 40k Ultramarines chapter/legion. These nice little sci fi figures proved to be excellent proxies for 40k vehicles, so I decided to paint up my force as Horus Heresy Ultramarines (although it doesn't fit with the game background... but they are my figures!).

So far, I've managed to get a few different types of vehicle done, and one unit of infantry. Just to figure out how I want to paint them and what the units look like.

The Trojans (rhino proxies) are based on the British 432 APC. At the back I've got Scorpions (432 hulls with sponsons and turrets) and Hailstorm Rocket Tanks. The infantry are backed up by some Gladiator robots.










The models are super detailed - I'd go as far as to say they are on par with GHQ. My Scorpions (the tanks) are the older style sculpts with fixed turrets. The newer style ones have loose turrets. The infantry are stunning!

I need to tidy a few bits up on them and sort the edging on the bases. But other than that I'm pretty happy. I've tried to keep a very Ultramarine feel to the force. The large bases are 60mm by 40mm, while the smaller ones will be 40mm by 40mm. The idea is to play really big massed battles, with lots of units on each side. As an example of scale of force, these models are worth 39 points... with the concept being that most games being 150 to 300... I've more in the painting queue, including more infantry, APC's and Heavy Tanks.

I've got lots more planned for these, and will hopefully be doing some during the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge which I've entered again this year. More details on that as we get closer to the start date!

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, makes a nice change painting bright colours!

      Delete
  2. Jamie you are a nutter. The level of detail on these teeny tiny things is rather good and you've painted them up a treat.
    Do you have an opponent who's putting together a force to fight against, or are you planning to do a Traitor legion as well yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the local chaps, Stig, is doing some as well. He’s painted waaay more though.

      Delete
  3. Nicely done indeed! I‘m curious, are thise compatible scale wise with Epic? I think to remember Epic was 6mm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m afraid I don’t have any epic minis to compare them to. Sorry!

      Delete
  4. These are very nice , and having seen them in the flesh - by god are they small! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look really great. Never heard of the company, so will keep an eye open for more news from them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new and expanding range Roy. Some pretty cool stuff.

      Delete
  6. Very impressive job, beautiful units and fantastic basing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, Stig did a really good video on how to do the craters. Very useful!

      Delete
  7. Yes fantastic looking bases, working on some aircraft in 1:600 and it is hard to do a good job which you have, great work

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!