Thursday 25 January 2018

Finished!: 15mm Wespes, 15.5cm sFH 414(f)'s and Quad 2cm AA guns

Hi folks,

Busy few weeks of painting for me, with one 'themed' challenge entry and two weekday entries.



First up, a battery of 15.5cm sFH 414(f) guns. These guns were French Canon de 155 C Modele 1917 Schneider Howitzers. The Germans captured a load of them during WW2, and not just from the French. The French had exported this gun to Italy, Greece, Yugoslavia, Poland, Belgium and Russia to name but a few users. The various versions from these nations all received different German designations. They used these guns for coastal defence and equipping 2nd line infantry divisions. 

While doing some research into 89.Infanterie-division last year, I came across an American post war intelligence interview with one of the divisions officers. He gave all sorts of interesting details about the equipment of the division going into Normandy, including this:



So I got it into my head to do a German battery equipped with French 15.5cm guns, and this was the result:







Four guns, which I entered in the 'BFG' themed round. You can vote for my entry (and I'd be very pleased if you would!) by visiting here and voting on the right. If your on a device other than a PC, you'll need to go to the bottom of the page and click 'desktop view' in order to see the voting panel!

Next up, I'd painted some AA guns - a battery of Quad 2cm AA guns, painted up with Luftwaffe crew:






And lastly a unit of 12th SS SdKfz 124 'Wespes'. Self propelled artillery mounting 10.5cm guns on a Panzer II chassis. These will form part of  1/Panzerartillerieregiment 12, part of the 12th SS Panzer Division (Hitlerjugend). Yes, I know - me doing SS! But they were present during Operation Totalize and if I'm representing all the forces involved then the SS should be represented. 







2 comments:

  1. Great looking models. I always had a liking for Wespes since making up the matchbox version when i was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant painting and basing

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!