Saturday 4 August 2018

15mm LCT Scratch Build - Finished

Hi folks,

A couple of weeks ago I posted some pictures of my WiP 15mm scale LCT, for use in Flames of War and other such games. Since then, I've been busy painting, and then repainting, the built model. However, this week I've got it to the point that I am happy for now, aside from getting some crew figures sorted.


Unfortunately, I had been so keen to get this painted, that I jumped in with both feet and didn't check colours or references. This resulted in me having a complete paint job, which was wrong:



Reference to some D-Day images, and then the shipmakers models for the LCT's, shows that the colour was basically white with a dark blue camo pattern on D-Day. So I repainted the dark grey a lighter grey - but then decided it was still too dark, so went with off white, which seemed to do it. The camo colour is 2/3rds Dark Bluegrey Pale and 1/3rd Prussian Blue (roughly). Upper hull surfaces are London Grey, while the hold is Luftwaffe Uniform. I just used a selection of reds for the markings, and light browns and khaki for the lifeboats.

Weathering was done using stone grey, beige brown (for rust) and a very light grey wash.

So here she is, in all her glory:












I'll be replicating the paint scheme for the smaller craft I have and will be keeping an eye out for some more smaller craft to pick up in the future.

As for making more... well, when I finished this one I had the urge to try an LCI... but with enough deep breaths the madness subsided. For now. I think I am still going to pursue some other options, so who knows!



14 comments:

  1. It’s brilliant James , well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks excellent James, top job indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a brilliant job! Really top work you've done there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray - I'll let you know when it eventually reaches the table at Scruton!

      Delete
  4. That really is an exceptional piece of scratch building James, and the paint job is top notch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee - it will be a good practice run for when I come to paint the smaller craft as well.

      Delete
  5. Lovely.

    And I was looking for the six + Shermans in an LTC, scrolling down there it was !

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!