Saturday 17 October 2020

Finished: 15mm Battlefront Universal Carriers

 Hi folks,

Production has continued over the last three weeks, with a few little odd jobs done hobby wise and a weekend away. Painting wise, I've been focusing on finishing the last bits for the 2nd Derbyshire Yeomanry squadron. These two patrols of 3 Universal Carriers plus crews are now done. 


These are older resin Battlefront 15mm models, with the addition of a few extra crew members. I believe these extra crew are from some Forged in Battle carriers I bought and painted a long time ago. 

These carriers are marked up for the 2nd Derbyshire Yeomanry. My info on this unit indicates that they had two carrier patrols, each of three vehicles, per squadron. I've not added any radio aerials to these, but may return to this after a bit of research. These vehicles use up more of less all of my Dom's Decals Highland Division markings. 


I've added some of my usual (at the moment) weathering, although not as heavy as the armoured cars. Since doing these pictures I've added a few small clumps of flowers and tufts to the grass on the front. I also avoided adding the extra Brens or machine guns, just to differentiate these a bit from those I painted for my infantry support company. 

With these done, the painting chart looks like this:


My other hobby time over the last few weeks has been detailing vehicles for my next painting plan (more on this in another blog post). 

I also sorted the figures out for the 2nd dismounted patrol (in yellow above) as well as a platoon of infantry for my Jocks. This involved converting some commando figures into Jocks with Tam o'Shanters. The infantry is currently all base coated. 

This infantry platoon will be the final one needed to finish off the full battalion (7th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders). I've also spent some time looking and thinking about what I could do for some battalion HQ units. Maybe some sort of HQ diorama, but I'm stuck on the fact that the infantry battalion HQ was pretty mobile. I also want something that would be useable on the table rather than a stationary piece. The naval observation team I did on the medium bases before has given me the idea of some medium based command teams - I will continue to ponder. My other idea would be to have two elements, a static diorama style base with a CMP radio truck and maybe some other vehicles along with a couple of medium bases (for the Lt. Col and the 2IC).  

There is always more to do!

6 comments:

  1. Impressive carriers collection, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on the carriers James :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful detail and painting as always James.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They have come up very nice. I have a swag of these to do for my Soviets.

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!