Another unit I managed to complete before January had run it's course. My Auster AOP (Air Observation Post).
These aircraft were used by specialist army officers trained by the RAF to fly as spotters for artillery units. This was a dangerous job, with the planes operating at low level and at a max speed of 110mph. They were at risk from light AA and even MG fire, as well as the danger of being hit by the artillery shells that they were directing.
Unlike most other units in my army, this aircraft (and my Typhoon, come to think of it) is currently lacking any specific attachment to a squadron. Something I will have to rectify!
Decals are slightly botched, but I am happy with them for now. Invasion stripes came about as my research shows that up until the start of July 1944 the aircraft had invasion stripes on the top and bottom surfaces. After the start of July, the stripes were removed from the top surfaces until December 1944, where they were removed totally. The Battlefront painting guide doesn't mention them at all, so I added them myself.
I may do something to help the flight stand work better, as the aircraft is a little wobbly on it. I may also gloss the windows and revisit the fuselage decals and add the letter and number markings that the aircraft may have had.