Thursday 21 September 2017

State of the collection 2017 - The Terrain....

Hi Folks,

As well as getting all the soldiers out, I also took the time to set out some of my terrain. I have had a big push on this year to get myself terrain. Not just a few hills and stuff, but a proper ability to set up a table that matches the effort I put into my figures. 

I've picked up bits and bobs here and there, looked at what other people are doing and been impressed and inspired. So, my final video (unfortunately with poor lighting) is a test setup of my town scenery:


Again, as the pictures seem to have come out better, I'll stick some up here. I've still got a long way to go, but I think I'm on the right track. Comments and constructive criticism is very welcome!

Please excuse the garage mess in the background!





Lack of base boards down this side of the table. I still had a few buildings left to put out, but had ran out of space. 


"It's quiet... too quiet.."

The Battlefield in a Box town squares really helped. 

Really proud of how the damaged buildings look, although the rubble is a bit too pale in places. 

Some Shermans and a StuG added for scale!

The outbuildings seemed to work really well. More work needed on stuff to go in the yards!

Basing to be done on the trees, some more basing boards required. 

More gravestones needed - the area around the church is pretty bare looking. I've got some much larger bases (3.5" by 3.5" that I may use with gravestones). I may also base up the walls to put some greenery along the bottom. 

13 comments:

  1. James a tremendous collection with a good consistent style. Keep it flexible.....my preference would be more weathered or natural feel but I think if you keep things consistent that isn't an issue.😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! What sort of weathering would you look at doing?

      Delete
  2. That looks like a sod of a setup to dig infantry out of. :)

    Looks smashing already Jamie, and with a few additions of the gravestones and perhaps even flower beds and the like and this will be one of the most impressive WE tables I've yet seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai! I really wanted to set it all up to try and see where to focus next. It's pretty hard to visualise where the gaps are! More greenery definitely required.

      Delete
  3. What an impressive setup James! Thats a table to be proud of and that everyone will want to play on.
    I'm loving the collection posts you are doing too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul! Glad your enjoying them. Just one more to do I think...

      Delete
  4. Lovely set up James, you have certainly been busy on the terrain front! I like the extra little touches, the rubble piles, gravestones, back yards etc. All of the Battlefield in a Box stuff ties together so well, not cheap, but well worth the money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee! As usual I've still got a lot of work to do, but I've been inspired by your own setups!

      Delete
  5. What a pleasure to look at sich a beautiful and realistic terrain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil - a regular point of discussion on the Painting hangouts is that the terrain is as important as the models. Seems a bit silly for me to spend so much time and effort on the toys without considering the terrain!

      Delete
  6. Looking good .. that's a great collection of buildings. Look forward to fighting over it

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!