Tuesday 12 May 2015

2nd (!!) Annual (!!) 6 Month Mountain Reduction Painting Challenge

So, only a few short months after the end of the last challenge the second one is starting.

The time period for the challenge has changed, with the challenge starting on 1st June and running till 30th November. This means it avoids the Christmas period and for me means that I have better weather to work in - Scottish winters are not particularly great for varnishing or spraying.

This time around the rules have changed slightly - which will help keep things interesting and allow slightly more leeway with purchases. The rules, taken from The Spider Web of History blog:

Rules changes, and some exciting additions IN BOLD.

1. No purchasing of new miniatures, EXCEPT if you use a joker.  You get three jokers to use on a figure purchase.  Could be a blister pack, an ebay bundle, or a single figure... you can't splurge. The only exception to this rule is if you need bitz or A FIGURE (Singular) to complete a unit/warband etc.

1.1 - There is an opportunity to "earn" additional jokers.  If you complete an entire project (whole unit/army/warband etc.) with pictures of starting, WIP, and completion, you earn yourself a Joker. - In order to allow myself the purchases to finish my painting chart I will be aiming to do this when a platoon have been completed. As I did last year, my painting chart has some 'aspirational' units on it, not just the ones I already own.

2.  Gifts do not count against you. Holidays, birthdays etc. Also, if you're given gift cards by your hobby illiterate family or friends, you can without penalty use them on anything you want miniatures wise.

3.  Paints, terrain (or materials), and other hobby supplies do not apply to the no purchasing rule.

4.  At least one hobby related blog post and/or Instagram update a week.  If you instagram, be sure to hashtag your pic with #6MMRPC

5.  Zombtober will be part of the 6 month challenge so, Zombie related stuff during October is ENCOURAGED. Other theme suggestions are welcomed. - Again, as last year I will be having Tanktober rather than Zombtober. At least assuming I have tanks to paint by then!

6.  Anyone that wants to submit a before and after picture of a miniature that they are proud of completing during the course of the challenge to dmcffd@gmail.com will be entered into the running for a gift certificate to a online wargaming store of their choice.  Judging will be by an un-biased person.  Amount on the gift certificate will be dictated by winners nationality but should work out to about $30 U.S. I (Spiderweb of History) will not be eligible to win. 

My plan is to have a couple of different painting lists this time - my usual 15mm WW2 painting list, a Full Thrust list and a Battlefleet Gothic list. I do not expect to complete all of these! But I figure that giving myself options will help keep things fresh and stop me getting to the point I did last time round, where I wanted to paint space ships but felt I couldn't as I had a painting chart to work to!

I would encourage anyone that's interested to think about giving the challenge a shot. The Facebook group (although Facebook is not a must have!) and fellow bloggers really help with motivation, as well as giving you a reason to think hard about your purchases - while encouraging you to focus a bit on your painting.

Joining is easy, just post up a blog entry with the rules, join the Facebook group if you are that way inclined and start posting and painting using the 6MMRPC title in your posts.

As a first step, here is my 'New, Updated' Drax(tm) style painting chart for my 15mm mini's.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. What can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment!

      Delete
  2. Good to see you are doing it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff. You've loads of stuff to get on with and it's all interesting topic-wise too.

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!