Tuesday 26 February 2019

Finished!: 15mm 'swimming' Sherman DD's

Hi folks,

Just a quickie for today. My AHPC 'water feature' round entry was a trio of resin DD Shermans, to go towards our upcoming D-Day games.


These were resin models from a ebay seller, and as such are not my usual Battlefront offerings. The models were pretty rough with lots of holes and flash. They also have a pretty odd turret hatch cupola which I don't think I've ever seen on Normandy Shermans.

These were given a quick paint job, and I'll consider whether to leave or replace them further down the line. As much as the BF offerings are nice, they are expensive for what is effectively a marker in the game.



I would also point out that with all the DD tanks on the market, they sit too high in the water. As far as I'm aware, the canvas screen displaced enough water to keep the tank afloat, but the result was that there were only a few inches between the water surface and the top of the screen - hence the issues on D-day with choppy water causing the screens to collapse or coming over the top. The British apparently discovered prior to D-Day that screens needed re-enforcing with stronger steel, but didn't pass this info on to the Americans.

These three will be added to the collection, and will go towards some future beach landing.

1 comment:

  1. They will do fine. I agree I want some way lower in the water ...

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!