Monday 7 September 2020

Finished: 15mm PSC Mortar Carriers

Hi folks,

Another element of my planned 2nd Derbyshire Yeomanry squadron done, with the completion of six PSC 15mm plastic universal carriers. 

These were constructed to resemble my Battlefront models, which involved using some of the ammunition carrying parts from the 2" mortar version, with the rear equipment from the 3" mortar carrier. It appears that this layout is historically accurate, given some brief google searching. 

The models are nice enough and seem to scale well. As with most PSC models, these were a little fiddly to put together. The options are nice to have, but I dislike spending so much time putting small transport vehicles together. I've only gone with two crew members for these, but I'm not too bothered about this as I doubt these models will see much table time. Of course, I don't help myself by taking the time to slightly individualise each vehicle with stowage. 

I based these models on some small flames of war bases, but with little extra room for tufts. 


I'll do a comparison with my older Battlefront mortar carriers at some point. 

Decals are those used by 2nd Derbyshire Yeomanry - white 41 on a green over blue square. The divisional sign is the Highland Division marking. Other than that, allied star on the sides and the WD markings for a tracked vehicle. While not visible in the photos, there is also a bridge weight marking of '4' on each vehicle as well. I didn't have a good enough flat upper surface for any air recognition stars. 

As I've not posted an update for a while, here's the updated painting chart for the whole squadron. Getting to the point that it's mainly infantry to paint aside from yet more universal carriers. I've also added a foot mounted Forward Air Controller (FAC) team and a larger (medium based) Forward Observers Bombardment (FOBs) - just for fun and scenario use. I may do a jeep for the FAC and a UC for the FOB, just to have some dedicated transport. 

Infantry are sorted out and base coated, awaiting their time in the queue. 


Progress continues!

4 comments:

  1. Do they even have transports in FoW current rules? My poor desert motor company I think can’t even be used anymore.

    Fab pieces tho Jamie. Your 15mm collection never disappoints

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. There are command cards for unit transports, yes. Not sure about the desert stuff but the D-day Brits have cards for 3-ton lorries (for rifle company HQ or platoons, 25-pdr or 17-pdr platoons), carrier transports (for mortar or 6-pdr platoons), kangaroo transports (rifle company HQ and rifle platoons) and M5 halftrack transports (for motor company HQ, Motor platoons and 17-pdrs). Not that it bothers me as I try to stick to historical OOBs and fit the rules around that - within reason anyway.

      Delete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!