Saturday 28 November 2020

15mm Normandy British infantry battalion

 Hi folks,

While continuing with the current painting plan and approaching completion on my Polish M10C's, I took the opportunity of a lazy day in the house to lay out my British infantry for Flames of War. 

I had planned two layouts - 3rd Edition and 4th Edition setups - but it took so long to do the initial setup that I cut my plans short a little. I then had to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to fit the models all back into the storage boxes I'd taken them out of. 

I've come to the conclusion I need some sort of storage plan!

Anyway, the light was poor, with it being a dull November day and late in the afternoon. 


First up, I laid out the 4 rifle companies and the support company. This had the benefit of letting me see where I am short some bits:

- each company command section should have a carrier for transport. I'll need 3 more of these painted to fill that gap. 

- one company is missing the sniper teams. These are not used in v4 FoW, but the 7th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders had a scout/sniper platoon as part of the support company, so I'm tempted to fill the gap to represent this element of the ToE. 

- Pipers are missing from 2 of the company command teams. I've one currently in the lead pile, I'll need to pick up another and sort command bases. 

- I need to make a decision on whether to stick to the v3 organisation, or use the v4 one. While the v3 organisation is marginally more historically accurate (while still missing the ammo carriers, etc), I've tended to use the v4 organisation when playing. Switching entirely to v4 org would free up the carriers needed for the company commanders.

- I need to paint the de-frocked priests in order to do a large Totalize game, which was the point of the collection and something I've yet to do. As the battalion was down to 3 rifle companies at that time, I need to paint 12 of those vehicles. The existing 6 need re-work due to fogging of the varnish. 

- I still need to decide on what I want to do to represent the battalion HQ. 

Anyway, I took a few more pictures including some of my house rule 'extras' and the infantry support options. 

Medics and Engineers also included, along with the rifle coys.


RAF Forward Air Controller along with Vickers MMG's and 4.2" Mortars from 1/7 Middlesex Regiment

This included the regimental aid post and de-frocked priests, as well as the limbered 6-pdr guns. 

I do feel that I've cheated slightly, as I bought 5 platoons of infantry from a friend. However, I'm giving myself a break as they were nicely painted and resulted in me reaching my goal far sooner than I had planned!

Now I just need to plan another game big enough to get the whole lot on the table!

10 comments:

  1. Impressive and yes you’ll need a big game to get everything out !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very impressive James!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressive and inspiring. My WW2 wargames ambition is to put a full British infantry battalion on the table but I'm a lot further from achieving it than you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's taken me a long time to do, and we've only played one game so far where the whole lot (more or less) was on the table. I suspect it will be a rare occurrence, but nice to have the models 'just in case'!

      Delete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!