Wednesday 18 November 2020

Finished: 15mm British infantry platoon and dismounted carrier patrol

 Hi folks,

I had hoped to get these two units done over the weekend, but I was distracted by painting some M10s and didn't make as much progress on the infantry. 

This 'final' infantry platoon for my British infantry brings me up to a whole 12 platoons in my collection, meaning I can now field the equivalent of a whole battalion should I need to. Pictures of the whole lot to follow, when I have room to lay it out again. I've now scrapped my plans to paint an individual Polish infantry company, as that can be made up from my existing collection. 

I've still got a load of motor rifle platoons to do, and possibly a Canadian company, so not quite finished with painting these figures yet. 

This platoon was made up of both older and newer Battlefront 15mm metal models, with at least one Peter Pig radio man. I know this is the wrong type of radio for an infantry platoon, but no one does the correct radios at 15mm and I like using the figure with an aerial to mark out command teams. I did use some of the Battlefront commando figures, with some trimming done to remove daggers and tidy up backpacks, and a green stuff pompom added to the berets to make them into Tam O'shanters. This means I have a mix of helmeted and soft cover troops - which is inaccurate but adds a little flair of the veteran Jocks. 



The platoon consists of a command squad (small base), PIAT team (small base), 2" Mortar (Small Base) and 6 Rifle/Bren teams (medium bases). Two of the medium bases represents a squad, with each base being an element of the squad. There is only one Bren per 2 bases, unlike the motor platoons, who have 1 Bren per base. 

This unit fills in the first bit of green on my next painting plan:


Also on the painting desk was my final little unit from the previous painting plan - a 'dismounted carrier patrol' for my 2nd Derbyshire Yeomanry squadron. 

Only 2 medium bases and a small base for these guys, with the options to fire as Bren teams, 2" Mortar teams or PIAT teams. My own little add on, not something represented in the rules for Flames of War. This unit may have more men than it should do, but that's mainly due to the fact 3 men on a medium base in FoW represents a heavy weapon team and it would lead to confusion. 


And the final completed painting plan for this unit:


I have made progress on the M10s - the crews are painted and the work on the hulls has begun. I've a few more steps to complete, but I'm thinking I've currently got 50% of the work done. I'm hoping the Cromwell troops will be fairly quick to do, but I also know as we move into the new year things will get hectic for me. I'll keep chipping away and see what I can get done!

  

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cheers Martin - certainly no end of footsloggers for when we might eventually get a game again!

      Delete
  2. Great job James, beautiful figures and bases!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good James!

    We spoke a while back on the Flames forum about decals. I've received those ones from the States for my 7th Argylls and they look good.

    https://miscmini.com/shop/ols/products/51st-highlands-79th-armoured-divisions-15mm-decal

    If I can figure out how to email you I can show some pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Those decals look interesting - I'll keep them in mind if/when I decide to do some more HD vehicles, which is a possibility as I may still do some battalion HQ stuff.

      You can drop me a line at James.MacMillan73 at gmail.com

      Delete
  4. Nice work James at least not her painting plan coloured green !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt - yep, one more off the planning spreadsheet - only 18 tabs worth of minis to do... :S

      Delete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!