Friday 3 September 2021

Holiday 2021 - Cobbaton Combat Collection visit

Hi folks,

I wanted to just do a quick blog post showing off some of the pictures I took at the Cobbaton Combat Collection during my visit in late August. 

Painting wise, August was a bit of a washout for a variety of reasons. I also normally take models to build when going on holiday, but a back pain issue for most of the week saw me achieve very little. I'm now working to get over my usual post holiday slump and actually get some Polish Stuarts done. 

Anyway, this museum is located in North Devon and was only 30 minutes from where we were staying. It consists of a few small buildings crammed with the usual selection of weapons, kit and vehicles. I took a few pictures, which don't really show everything that was there. 

Churchill VIII 'Crocodile' 


Sexton


White Scout Car


Centaur

C15TA ambulance

A Windsor carrier, larger Canadian successor to the Loyd carrier

Daimler Armoured Car

Cromwell turret

Churchill IV AVRE turret

There was a few other oddities, as well as some stuff in desert paint jobs I didn't pay too much attention to. For example, there was also a Loyd carrier, Morris Quad and 25-pdr, Universal carrier, a Bofors SP and a Canadian build AA tractor, a Hippo, Dingo and a few others later tanks. I also caught a glimpse of the Ram hull that is under restoration. Unsure if this will be a Kangaroo or a Ram tank - there did appear to be a Ram turret outside. 

I was aware of not wanting to keep Amy on her feet too long, and that the wee man was likely to get shouty if not kept occupied. Generally, over the course of the holiday we took very few pictures...

Still, onwards and upwards. One of the things the museum did make me think about were fire extinguishers on tanks:

I've always just left these green, but it seems they perhaps should be other colours. Also, jerry can colours. Again, I tend to leave these green, but the collections showed a range of colours for oil, kerosene, diesel and water - more research required I think!




6 comments:

  1. Looks like a great collection!
    Glad you could get away for a break mate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul - we generally get away once a year with A's family. Not sure a week in a house with (currently) 4 small children belonging to others (as well as your own 7 month old) can be considered restful though...

      Delete
  2. Nice collection! Seemed a bit cramped there tho?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These places are all pretty small Dai - your spoilt by your time on the US....

      Delete
  3. A great morning spent here recently, one for the die hard fan - As they say a hobby that got out of hand.
    Unsurprisingly the wife and kids did not want to go :-)
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great little collection. I visited several years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!