Thursday 24 February 2022

Finished: 15mm Grille H and K platoons

Hi folks,

Continuing on with my German Gepanzerte SS-Panzergrenadierkompanie project for 12SS in Normandy, I finished a couple of self-propelled infantry gun platoons. 

A long time ago, I was given a singe '15cm Schweres Infanteriegeschütz 33/1 auf Selbstfahrlafette 38(t) (Sf) Ausf. M' (Grille Ausf. K) self propelled infantry gun. I later added to this single vehicle with another, giving me a unit of two. I also ignored the v3 requirements to have command and spotter vehicles in the unit. 

A little later, I discovered that the v3 Atlantik Wall book seemed to indicate that 12th SS actually had '15cm Schweres Infanteriegeschütz 33 (Sf) auf Panzerkampfwagen 38(t) Ausf. H' (Grille Ausf. H) self propelled infantry guns. Different looking versions of the same vehicle, effectively. At that time, Battlefront had released a new kit for this, so I picked up a couple. 

Being unclear as to which version the unit would have been equipped with, I did both. For the record, I have found mention of Grille Ks being issued to the unit during the fighting in Normandy, and they may have been equipped with the older Grille Hs before the invasion. So both might be correct!

First up, the two Grille H vehicles. 




Then the two Grille K vehicles. 




All four were painted in a similar style to my other half-tracks, with different camo patterns. Decals came from Skytrex and Doms Decals (old ones I still had). Light foliage camo has been added, as has some dust weathering. Crews still to be added at a later date. 

Hull numbers are in the 514-515 and 524-525 ranges for these.  

4 comments:

  1. Very nifty! I really like the camo patterns you used on these

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai - I've gone with a 'poor Schmidt' approach. Him being the guy who's been told to put the camo on with half the required paint, no decent thinner, no instructions how to do it, a rag on a mop handle and a hot date with a local girl in 3 hours time...

      Delete
  2. Well I'm beggared Jamie! I've just completed my pair of Grille this week. Spooky. Excellent job on these matey.

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!