Tuesday 29 November 2022

Necromunda Terrain project

Hi folks,

I had been trying to get into the habit of updating the blog regularly, but it hasn't happened. I think more frequent updates next year might be a small resolution, if only so I can track my own progress. 

Since the completion of my last Team Yankee Dutch unit, model painting has fallen by the wayside a bit. Instead, I was prompted by Amy's demand that I get a box of wargaming stuff out of the wee man's bedroom to paint some of the 28mm Necromunda terrain I'd bought in 2018. 

So far, this is where I'm at with it:




This turned into a bit of an epic project. The wall sections I'd purchased from 'Just lasered' were laser cut foam, designed to sit on the carboard tile sections of the more 2d game (as Necromunda was back then). 

However, Necromunda has evolved into a more 3d game and I wanted to replicate that. This meant adding walkways to the tops of the walls, getting more levels and finding a way to paint foam!

Thankfully, I discovered after a fair bit of trial and error that a coat of grey surface primer would work on the foam, and give a concrete appearance. Along with some black and brown washes and some green grey to more match the colours of the floor tiles, I found a quick solution. 


The foam walls came with greyboard details to be added onto them. These details I treated to a quick dapple of a mahogany and gunmetal paint, then a liberal coat of brown wash. These were then glued onto the foam.  



Using some MDF kit's I'd gotten a while back, I found parts to use as floor tiles for the tops of the walls, along with some 40x40mm bases. I also painted up the plastic terrain using the same simple 'mahogany brown' and 'gunmetal' scheme. Stairs from the MDF kits were a good height for the wall sections, and thankfully I've a lot of them as they work well and also provide cover, etc. 

I also added some plastic pipe sections I'd picked up from a cheap GW magazine. 




I picked up an industrial mat from DaveD, which matches in pretty well. Some home made bridges using MDF bases and purchased bridges from Pendraken, as well as some ladders from their Red Vector range, give a bit more of the old Necro feelings. 

I've also painted some of the doors from Just Lasered and picked up some 4ground ones cheap. However, I'm not happy with either solution so may buy some GW plastic ones in the future. 

I've a load of industrial barrels to paint, and some ammo/industrial crates for scatter terrain, along with a few other sci-fi bits. I've some more pipe sections as well, which have all been built to be placed against walls and provide more cover.


As part of the AHPC this year, I'm planning to get a couple of gangs painted, so have been building those models as well. My thinking is that if I have the terrain done, I'll be more motivated to paint figures!

I've tried to keep the terrain as stackable as possible, with things working well up to three levels. It becomes a mix of 'Sector Mortalis' and 'Sector Mechanicus' at that point I think. I do have some larger MDF bits to do, stacked cargo container dwellings, etc. I'm fairly happy with how it all looks at the moment, although I accept it's a bit basic!

My long term plan with this is to run a long, slow burn narrative style campaign with the figures I get painted. 

8 comments:

  1. looks fab, can't wait to play

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is a great setup Jamie! Love the Necromunda setting - which gangs will you be working on it play on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I've Escher, Goliath and some Chaos Cult figures planned to get done first. Just building 1000pt gangs then going to try a narrative style campaign. Something I can do some drop in gaming with at the club.

      Delete
    2. Hope you can post up some good batreps for those games if you're able. Will be cool to see what they play like.

      Delete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!