Sunday 22 January 2023

Finished: 28mm Necromunda figures

Hi folks,

So, again, trying to catch up on recently complete bits for the AHPC which haven't featured here yet. 

Part of my plans for this years challenge was to make use of the Army Painter speedpaints I got for my birthday this year, and get figures painted for Necromunda. This is very much a learning process for me, as I'm not used to painting:

- 28mm figures

- with speedpaints

- non-uniform models

And as such, I figured the best way to get my 'eye in' was with a batch of Chaos Cultists. Specifically, models I plan to use for a Helot Cult gang. 






These models are mainly plastic cultist figures from GW, with a 3d printed Psyker designed by Imitation of Life Miniatures and purchased from CrisisActorMinis on Etsy. I've also included a more modern cultist with grenade launcher and sniper rifle from various GW sets, bought individually on Ebay. 

As these guys will likely form a Tzeentch inspired gang, I went with blue as the primary colour. Not all the figures will be in the gang at the same time, but it was good practice to do them all and I think there are scenarios where having a horde of bad guys could be useful. 

I also painted up some more scatter terrain, in the form of barrels, as well as the two platforms. 

To support these guys, a Chaos Spawn proxy has also been painted:




This is another plastic GW figure from one of their recent chaos sets. I'd not quite finished the base when taking these pictures - it's been tidied up since. 

one of the small issues with having a mix of GW and 3d printed models is some of the differing sizes:


The model in the middle is large, and is mounted on a 40mm base. However, the two female figures are supposed to be around 28mm, but one is much smaller and slighter than the other. Still, this could be more a factor of a slightly built individual compared to a larger built one, so I'm not worrying too much. 

The 'Ammo Jack' and 'Chymst' models are also 3d prints, from the same source as the witch model above. 



All of these models have been painted primarily with Army Painter speed paints. Some highlighting has been done with Vallejo paints - mainly around skin tones. While the cultists received a black wash to try and tie them together a bit, the other models have not. 

I have struggled a little to get decent pictures - my desk light seems to be interfering or flickering at a rate which messes with my phone camera. This means my lighting options are a little limited, and the figures look darker in the pictures than they do in the hand. 

Overall, my view of the speed paints is positive. They are a decent tool to have when painting these types of mini. I've ordered some of the new Vallejo range to test out as well, just to provide extra tones - and really to try out their flesh option. 

I'm currently working my way through the other models I bought to act as hangers on, some more scatter terrain and figuring out what paint scheme to go with for my Goliath, Beastmen and Escher gangs.... I've also got a game of Necromunda booked in for the 28th with Dave and Martin - doubtful I'll have those gangs painted by then though!



2 comments:

  1. Different and nicely done 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on these mate! Haven't had the chance to play new Necromunda, but the original was immense fun. Hope you get a chance to make a report on your upcoming games.

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!