Saturday 18 February 2023

Finished: Necromunda Beastmen and Hangers On

Hi folks,

With the AHPC ongoing, I've been struggling to find time to update my own blog! As such, this is very much an update for mini's I painted in January.

First up is my Chaos Corrupted Goliath gang. I wanted to do a beastman gang, but the rules for Chaos Cult Helots in the game didn't fit the build of the models I had. Instead, I decided to build them as a corrupted Goliath gang - so using the Goliath stats and equipment, but beastman models.  



Four of these models came from Ebay and were originally part of the Blackstone Fortress set. The gang leader (with the staff) and the champion (with the two handed weapon) were metal figures I picked up at a show a few years ago, from a fantasy range. I converted them a little (adding a Bolt Pistol to the leader, and a holster to the champion. The other figures are GW Ungor models with Goliath bits added. 

Now, the really interesting bit for me was that I painted the whole gang using my Army Painter Speedpaints in less than 6 hours. I know they are not the best paint jobs, but for what I wanted to achieve, and the time I wanted to spend on them, I think they look great. I stuck to a certain selection of colours, varying up what I did a little between models, but giving them a more uniform look. 

Not long after I painted them, they got some table time up against Martin's enforcers. Unfortunately Martin had the worst dice day I have ever seen...



These tables were reinforced slightly with a few other bits I'd managed to paint as part of the challenge. MDF bits I've had for a while, given the same simple rusty paint job as everything else and pressed into service. I've still a good bit of big terrain to paint for this, but I'm holding off for now as it will take time to assemble.  


As part of this Speedpaint frenzy, I also completed a few other minis. First up, as part of one of the challenge bonus entries, a greyscale 'Agent' to use for scenario games.




This was so simple, using the slapchop technique along with black, grey and white speed paints, that I might paint on of my gangs this way in the future - Delaque, obviously! This model was from the Stargrave plastic Mercenaries set - the models were generally just a little too small for Necromunda, but I built two as non-combat type bods before I decided to trade them with Martin for his enforcer spare parts. 

Then I did some spare  GW 'Hive Scum' conversions, with a House Escher Heavy Stubber and Flamer. These are really alternative weapons teams for my Chaos Cultists, but might fit other things in the future. 



Again, a quick Speedpaint job using the Army Painter range. 

Next up, a proxy 'Slopper' hanger on, along with the other NPC type character I built. These proxy models, along with the others below, all came via CrisisActorMinis on Etsy. I've only one model from Steve still to paint, but have more on the list to pick up in the near future.



A Rogue Doc from the same source:




And a 'Dome Runner' proxy:




As a quick extra, I also painted up one of the bits of GW stuff I'd collected a while ago from the cover of a magazine. And some small bits of scatter terrain I had to go with my barrels. 


So that little lot of mini's ended up being one weeks submission, and the most points I've ever achieved for a single entry. When it comes to the challenge, painting 28mm stuff is almost cheating... Especially using Speedpaints. 

Now, I know these models are not the best painted ever, but they are painted and on the tabletop they look fine. For my Necromunda stuff, that's all I want really - it's a side project and once I don't want to spend a huge amount of time on. I can also always come back in the future and do a bit more on these with shading and highlights. But for now, these will do!









5 comments:

  1. They looked really good . Don’t think need anything else doing . Indeed I think I did my Van Saar in about 7 hours with Xpress paint . Useful tool in the paint armoury

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Escher guys look fantastic. Pity I'm never playing necromunda againšŸ¤£

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have a roll of Martin, when I roll higher, we'll play again :P

      Delete
  3. Beastmen look top job! Never would have guessed they were speed paints

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!