Wednesday 27 December 2023

Finished: Two 1:144 scale Spitfire IX

Hi folks,

Playing catchup on completed work again - figured I should get these done before my 2023 roundup post in a few weeks. 

These models are some long time lead pile lurkers - mainly as I was lacking in confidence in how to do them justice. The models are 1:144 scale Battlefront resin and metal kits (ACO13 for those interested) representing Spitfire IX fighter-bombers (commonly referred to as Spitbombers). Battlefront originally released these as part of the v3 'Road to Rome' allied book - possibly back in 2016?

Anyway, I'd picked up a pair of them over time - with the intention of doing some Spits for my Normandy games. 






I'll say here and now that I don't consider myself to be a modeller per say - I build stuff to play games with - so these are no perfect replicas. However, as much as I hand painted the stripes and undoubtedly bodged the markings and the likes, I'm pretty happy with these. 

The two models are armed with bombs, machine guns and cannon. They seemed to have been used in a divebombing role, which they were apparently unsuited for. The Spitfire IX (mk.9) was initially a re-engined Spitfire Vc - rushed into service due to huge RAF losses caused by the German introduction of the FW190. When development of the Spitfire moved on, the Spitfire IX's were relegated to other roles, such as divebombing and ground support. 

I nicked the flight stands for my Team Yankee SU25s, as I like to use the taller flight stands. 



2 comments:

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!