Thursday 24 January 2019

Finished!: 15mm NAAFI Truck and 6 Pdr Platoon

Hi folks,

Just getting round to post this up on my own blog, but my entry for the AHPC 'Sport' challenge was a suitably sporty 15mm NAAFI Tea Truck!





Complete with a queue of three mug holding squaddies waiting for the bloody thing to open. You can see my attempt at humour and out of the box thinking, as well as why I thought entry fits the sports round, by reading the article here (where I would also ask you to have a look at the other entries and cast a vote before Saturday!), but can be summarised as Britain's three national sports - Tea Drinking, Poor Customer Service and Queuing!

The model was a 15mm truck provided by Dennis (Matt Varnish). I believe the truck was a Battlefront Tournament Objective which came with Dad's Army figures. I added a hatch to the side to cover the serving counter, and attempted to hand paint the NAAFI crest, as well as add some of the signage.

The figures were either modified with greenstuff or with a bit of plastic rod drilled out.

For the last few days I've also been finishing something I finished before... Prior to May 2013 to be precise, although the full platoon of six guns wasn't done until some time in 2014. As mentioned in my last post I decided to update the highlights and basing on my 6 Pdr platoon. The original models were rather dark and the basing was looking a bit worn.

Old (on left) vs new (on right) - the newer highlight looks odd close up, but much better at normal gaming distance. 

I've now finished the whole platoon (I think it may just qualify as a battery in Royal Artillery units?!) and have them updated to a similar standard as some of my newer units and the limbered 6 Pdr's I finished last week.



These will see some action this weekend, as we're running a big game, in my home town for the first time.

In other news, I decided that instead of going to the York show and spending money there on odds and ends, I would use that cash to make the most of the Battlefront 33% off sale on Late War. As a result, these arrived today:


While not any use for Operation Totalize, I have fancied doing some sort of linked campaign for Operation Epsom. Hopefully the local gaming space works out and we have capacity for regular big games that we could do something like that! Just need to get the bloody things built and painted!!!

These arrived along with another box containing most of the basic vehicles to make my 12th SS Panzerspahkompanie (German Armoured Car Company). Who has a problem? I don't have a problem...

4 comments:

  1. Awesome 'tea truck vignette', superb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are churning them out now James! The NAAFI truck and figures are excellent, I like the touch of humour of the importance of Tea in wartime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bases are absolutely gorgeous! They really compliment your stunning paint work!

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!