Thursday 15 July 2021

Finished: 15mm Sherman DD's

Hi folks,

Another bit of a delay from my last blog post, but work has been continuing on a series of beach landing based projects. This has kept me busy, but working on multiple things at once has meant that I've not actually finished anything yet. 

First to the finish line, after my AVRE's were delayed due to some last minute stowage additions, are the five Sherman DD tanks. 


I've six of these painted already, so these chaps take me to eleven total for the squadron. I've used some birthday money to buy another four, but two are on back order currently. When they all arrive, I should have a full squadron of these. 

They are 15mm Battlefront models, and are M4A1 based Duplex Drive Shermans. Unfortunately, this is the wrong version of Sherman DD's for the Brits/Canadians, who used the M4A4 hull for theirs. However, I'm not keen on the Peter Pig or Skytrex representations of these tanks, so I stuck with the incorrect but nicer sculpted Battlefront model. 

Sticking with the same these as the previous batch, I've gone with a sandy 'beach' base rather than my usual basing technique. I have been tempted to add some grass tufts, but tried this previously and was unhappy with the look. As these are, they match in with Dave's DD tanks. 

Highlighting was done to my current method, which made me go back and update the previously painted tanks to have the same garish style. These look odd close up, but much better at tabletop distances. Decal wise, I've only gone with a star on the turret top. The floatation skirts hide where the markings would normally be on the hulls, and while I have read mention of the Canadian units having unit markings on the gun mantlet, I've not found any pictures supporting this. Plus, leaving those markings off lets the unit represent tanks from different units. 

I do have a couple of tank commanders to paint to fully finish two of the tanks, but the models can be used without for now. 

With the models on order, the current painting plan for this project is looking like this:


And on completion, this will be my fourth painted allied tank squadron... (the others being 24th Polish Lancers, 144RAC and 10th Mounted Rifles). 

 


5 comments:

  1. Liking these Jamie! Do you have beach themed troops to go with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not currently Dai, I do have distant plans to paint up a company of Canadians who might end up on beach bases, but we'll see!

      Delete
  2. Look great! Its hard to tell from here but are those large hatch M4A1s?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie, the cast Hull Sherman DD tanks are spot on for the two regiments of 8th Armoured Brigade that assaulted Gold beach. A couple of miles down the road here is the SRY museum. Lots of piccies of the tanks on DAY. The DD tanks of the brigade were delivered direct from the USA and went ashore still in US Olive Drab. Each tank had turret numbers in plain white or light yellow just in front of the squadron marking. Check out the museums fb page for lots of piccies. Nevertheless, you are correct that 27th AB on Sword Beach and the Canadians on Juno used the DD conversion of M4A4 but who would really be concerned with your choice. Gud on ya mate, super paint job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking great, . They will add to a great game and display

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!