Friday 2 July 2021

WiP - 15mm scale 5cm KwK guns

Hi folks,

An unfortunately quiet June for me posting wise. With the warmer weather, weeks holiday and a bit of a loss of motivation, my hobby time was spent organising and building kits. I started assembling the first few Churchills for my future 7RTR squadron, assembling some Sherman V's for my 4th Canadian Armoured Division squadron (from the British Columbia Regiment) and built some Stuart VI's to finish off my Polish 24th Lancer squadron. The only painting I did was to make a start on my Polish Sherman Armoured Recovery Vehicle. 

Churchill building sent me down a rabbit hole of different marks of tank, OoB's and indecision. In the end I bought a box of the Battlefront 'Soviet' Churchills in order to make a few Churchill III*'s. Thankfully, the spare hulls then allowed me to build two more AVRE Churchills, which I will need...

In August, we have a large game planned, C-19 allowing. This means we also need some more beach defences. I have a singe Battlefield in a Box 5cm KwK bunker from Battlefront, but we needed more of those guns for various defensive sites (we are planning a large game covering the landings on Sword Beach, capture of 'Hillman' and relief of Pegasus Bridge). 

The gun looks like this:


Using some spares from my bits box and some extruded styrene, I managed to initially start like this:


This used: spare plastic PSC 6-pdr barrels, a BF metal German tank hatch, some rectangular styrene and some styrene rod. 

With the addition of some plasticard as a gun shield, I got them to this stage:


The actual BF metal model is on the left. 

These bits are now in the painting queue, along with some Battlefront Tobruks, a home made Tobruk and a French tank turret position. Hopefully this should give us 2 more MG positions and 2 mortar pits. 



This time working with the plasticard now has me eyeing up different AVRE options... we will see if I have time. I've also this month bought a box of Battlefront M7 Priests, as arty support for my landing forces. Planned purchases depending on birthday money this month will be another four DD Shermans, to give me a full squadron of those. 

Painting queue currently consists of: 2 x AVRE, 5 x Sherman DD, 3 x Stuarts, 3 x Sherman Fireflies, 1 x Sherman ARV, various beach defences, 1 x LSI(S) and 1 x LCT!



4 comments:

  1. nice work on those!

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! Not modelling quality by any means, but good enough for the odd wargame.

      Delete
  2. Love those AT guns. Never thought of masquerading 5cm KWK by using Brit 6pdr. Genius!

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!