Tuesday 19 April 2022

Finished: 15mm Wespe and Hummel Gun Sections

Hi folks,

The last two vehicle units on my project sheet for my German Panzergrenadiers have been completed. After a week or so of sitting on my desk awaiting tufts, I've managed to motivate myself!

These two units do not form part of the Panzergrenadier force per say, but would be divisional support assets. 

First up, the Wespes:



My lack of motivation for these models meant I've not added any sort of foliage to them - something I'll probably fix when I come to paint and add crews. It was a bit of a cop out, but it's a time consuming step and I really just wanted to finish these off and start painting something else. 

From my research, these vehicles had no hull numbers, and few tactical markings other than the German cross. I've added a divisional badge sign on the rear (no easy place to put on on the front). Camo was done roughly using the same colours as the half-tracks and stippled to be a bit softer. 

I'll have two crew members to paint and add to these at a later date. 

Next the Hummels:



These are much bigger models than the Wespes, being very chonky (unsurprisingly, the same footprint as a Panzer IV, given they use the same hull). I've crew still to add to these, but as per above these will be done later. Also, no other tactical markings I could see historically in the period so pretty simple decal wise. 

These models also need foliage adding, which I'll do when I return to add the crew. I did make an attempt to paint the striped sticks - having first checked these were supposed to be striped. I'm still not convinced that there were not barrel cleaning poles. 

All six models are 15mm scale metal and resin kits from Battlefront. For the Wespes, this now gives me a unit of six. I doubt the Hummels will get much table time, but they were part of the divisional artillery for 12th SS as far as I can see. Also, something to worry players with during scenario games!

With these units done and off my table, I'm now moving on to painting something slightly more modern! 15mm Team Yankee Dutch!

9 comments:

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!