Monday 10 January 2022

Finished: 15mm AVRE Fascine (PSC and S&S Models)

Hi folks,

Completing my years roundup earlier this month made me realise I had finished at least one model I hadn't posted - so for completeness sake, I'm doing that now. 

This was another PSC plastic Churchill kit with a Fascine conversion kit purchased from S&S Models. I'd previously completed one such vehicle back in November 2016 (see here). However with the large D-day game we had planned in August 2021 I decided I should have another, so that I could land two breaching groups.

Of course, the painting technique used doesn't match the older painted version. 

2016 version on the left, 2021 version on the right

Looking at the pictures of them side by side, I prefer the look of the 2016 model! But on a 17' by 6' table, the newer technique stands out a lot more and looks fine. That's the problem with looking at our hobby via a camera lens! To eye, the 2016 just looks dull and bland - a green blob!

At the same time I painted the new fascine layer, I also painted up two more standard AVREs - one shown here alongside its cousin. 



I did go a lot lighter on the stowage of the fascine carrier. Having dug these models out, I also realised that I had details to finish. The radio aerial was missing from the fascine tank, a tank commander is missing from the gun tank, etc. I'll spend a little time this week getting these minor things sorted before they get packed away again. 

Currently the collection included two armoured D7 dozers, a Churchill SBG layer, two fascine layers and 4 plain AVREs. Plus five Sherman Crabs. I may add some other bits in the future, as there are more options available via 3d printing. Perhaps a Churchill Ark or something!

2 comments:

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!