Thursday 10 December 2020

Finished: 15mm GZG Sci-Fi AV-12T Troop Transport VTOL

Hi folks,

As I move towards the start of a new Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge (and a hectic new year), I've continued with my task of clearing some of the half finished projects from the painting shelf. 

This particular hefty lump of metal is a GZG 'AV-12T Troop Transport VTOL', which is described as being the 'Squad carrier variant of MANTIS'. You can find it on the GZG site as V15-49A here. This is a 12 part metal kit, and if you put it in a sock you could do someone serious damage with a blow to the head. 


I decided to model mine on the ground, mainly as I see it being an objective or terrain piece for whatever games I run with the 15mm sci-fi stuff. 

I really, really struggled with a paint scheme for this model. I wanted something military but not too dull. I think it was painted black, blue and then dark grey before I went with a dry brush of lighter grey with dark accents. Really the concept was based on modern USAF aircraft. 

I added some of the 40k decals I have for my 3mm stuff. My thinking is that this is the 12th Aircraft of the 8th Squadron (hence 812, and the large 12). Unfortunately there is some silvering on a couple of the decals, which I can only assume is from me not paying enough attention and not putting the decal medium in place first. 



Captured lander, shows with some of the security bots I painted earlier in the year

I did contemplate basing the model as well, as it's hefty and supported by three rather spindly landing legs. I might revisit this idea as the model will be a bugger to store and is pretty prone to chipping. I am aware that I have many more bases that require this sand, and yet again I'm running short! 

To provide something for this model to do, I do have some military type 15mm models to go with it, included wounded soldiers which will require medi-vac. These are, however, further down the paint queue. My current 'whimsy' sci fi project being some 3mm models for my 'Calth' collection. 



1 comment:

  1. Looks great mate, and the colour scheme shows off the model's detail well.
    Reminds me a lot of the scout flyers in the movie Avatar.

    I have departed from 15mm over the years in favour of 28s, but 15mm for SF continues to really appeal. I do still have a bunch of figs which would be good for games like Tomorrow's War and Gruntz. What rules are you using?

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!