Friday 4 December 2020

The fruits of the first lockdown

Hi folks,

Whilst sorting the figures out for my infantry battalion pictures on Saturday, I also decided to get out the various elements of the 2nd Derbyshire Yeomanry squadron I've been painting more or less since the start of the first lockdown (actually, around May). 

It's always nice to see everything out together, as I normally clear everything off into storage as soon as it's done. 


Again, lighting in the room is rubbish. At this time of year in these parts of North East England it barely gets properly light on a rainy day, and this whole week has been rainy. Apologies for the picture quality!

I tried to lay everything out roughly as per my painting plan:


Battlefront resin Humber Armoured Cars, M5 Halftracks and metal infantry (a motor platoon, which would be Bren/Pioneer teams), along with some resin Humber LRCs. Squadron command is a single Humber LRC. 

PSC 6-pdrs and Lloyd Carriers as well as the Mortar Carriers. Battlefront 3" Mortars, resin Universal Carriers, resin White Scout Car and resin Humber Scout Car. infantry are mainly BF metals. 

Not a huge number of models all in, but something I'd planned for a long time now done and off the to-do list. 

As mentioned in my earlier post, this was a project where I made the decision to ignore the v3 platoon command teams and command transport vehicles for the 3" Mortars and 6-pdrs. I don't feel that this detracts much from the whole, and while it only saved me from painting a few more infantry figures, it did free up 2 Universal Carriers that can be used elsewhere. On the table, one of the mortar squads and one of the guns becomes the HQ for the platoon. 

It should be noted that the historical OOB would have required double the number of transport carriers for moving the guns, crew and ammo - so the v3 force wasn't particular accurate anyway. 

Outside of the standard FoW rules, I also added dismounted options for the carrier patrols (Bren/Piat and Bren/2" Mortar teams), a vehicle mounted forward air observer, a foot version of the same and a foot Forward Bombardment Officer. I also decided to make the Humber Scout Car as a 144RAC vehicle transporting Lt. Col. Jolly. 

Here is this lot back in May - published as part of an article into having done too much prep and sickened myself off before I'd started! Just shows what breaking a project into more bitesize chunks can achieve. 

Hopefully I can make similar progress with the Polish Cromwells in the next few months!


2 comments:

If you follow my blog, please feel free to leave a comment - it will appear once moderated!